Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus, university known for academic excellence and a culture that inspires lives of leadership and purpose. Laurier has a distinct commitment to teaching, research, experiential learning, sustainability and scholarship, which combine to address critical challenges in society, business, the economy and the environment – globally and in the communities we serve. At Laurier’s heart is its strong student focus, which results in exceptional levels of student satisfaction and a deep sense of community that lives on through the university’s highly engaged alumni.
Laurier takes pride in building meaningful relationships with colleagues and students. The Laurier community supports one another, encourages collaboration and teamwork and respects work/life balance, all while recognizing the importance of a challenging, rewarding and inspiring career. Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as locations in Kitchener and Toronto.
Diversity is one of Laurier’s core values. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
We currently have an opportunity to join the Laurier community as an Accounts Payable Administrator.
The Accounts Payable Administrator position is part of a team responsible for the day-to-day administrative functioning of the general ledger and accounts payable processes, including data input, payment processing, and other clerical duties associated with accounts payable administration.
This position requires extensive knowledge and understanding of all facets of the payment processing operations and a thorough understanding of university expense and signing authority policies and procedures as well as Broader Public Sector Directives governing payment processing and disbursement of public funds. The incumbent will have daily contact with administration staff, management, other departmental faculty and staff, and vendors in completing his/her duties and has a direct influence in providing excellent customer service and satisfaction to internal and external stakeholders.
The position requires a combination of strong clerical skills and the ability to handle numerous tasks efficiently and accurately in a high volume payment processing environment. Confidential materials are handled on a regular basis, so the successful candidate must exercise discretion in the performance of his/her duties.
As part of the Financial Services team, the successful candidate will have a clear understanding of the other team members’ activities and act as their backup when required. The position reports directly to the Director, Financial Services.
This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Waterloo Campus. The incumbent provides subject matter expertise to all campuses, requiring regular interpersonal interactions and collaboration with departments at the Waterloo Campus, the Brantford Campus, the Toronto office and external partners. Special attention is given to ensure equitable service delivery across all locations.
• Input source document information (i.e. expense reimbursement claims, invoices) in various currencies into the financial system
• Ensure that all invoices supported by purchase orders are matched prior to payment
• Complete all processes associated with preparation of the weekly cheque/direct deposit runs (shared on a rotating schedule)
• Respond to email, telephone and in-person inquiries regarding status of expenses and/or invoice payments in a timely manner
• Assist with developing and tracking departmental trends using metrics analysis
• Liaise with other departments and disseminate information regarding new accounts payable processes and procedures with other team members as required
• Involved in transitioning vendor payments to electronic funds transfers or other electronic payment types as required
• Responsible for monthly posting and reconciliation of various pre-authorized and electronic payments to ensure the information is correct for use by staff preparing university bank account reconciliations
• Act as the primary contact for processing wire transfer and bank draft payments
• Participate in clerical and administrative support with other members of the Accounts Payable team:
o Open incoming mail and prepare invoices and expense claims for payment processing
o Assist with the day to day administration of the Accounts Payable office, including but not limited to scanning and indexing of documents, filing final payment documents and ordering departmental supplies
o Complete on-line approval process for manually approved invoices with proper signatures
• Liaise with numerous university departments (faculty and staff), and external vendors to allow the smooth operation of the Accounts Payable office
• Must maintain strict decorum and confidentiality in performing their duties; this position regularly has exposure to sensitive and confidential information
• Adapt to changes in university and public sector policies, procedures and organizational hierarchies, as required
• Minimum of one (1) year post-secondary in accounting or related plus one (1) year of experience in a large accounting or accounts payable office, preferably in a public sector environment. Accounting experience to include reconciliations; creating excel reports and commenting on results and dealing with adherence to organizational policies and procedures;
• Knowledge of basic accounting principles and bookkeeping procedures;
• Strong customer service orientation (responsive to customer needs/ expectations);
• High degree of accuracy and attention to detail is essential;
• Demonstrated ability to deal with frequent interruptions and high volume processing (adaptable/flexible);
• Proven ability to deal with upset or irate clients with tact and diplomacy;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proven ability to interact and communicate clearly and concisely with a variety of people with different backgrounds & knowledge;
• Proven ability to interact and communicate effectively as a member of a team;
• Demonstrated strong organization, time management, and problem solving skills in a busy office environment;
• Good grammar, mathematical and spelling skills, as well as-proper e-mail etiquette;
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, particularly word and excel;
• Knowledge of Banner, Millennium, SciQuest, Ratex Software packages an asset;
• Knowledge of commodity, excise and other federal and provincial tax regulations as they apply to invoice payments an asset.
Grade : WLUSA-06 Salary : $28.85 – $33.93 Salary Notes : This is a one year, full-time, limited term position with an expected start date of January 28, 2019.
This position has been deemed eligible for equivalencies.
Please Note : This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier’s Employee Success Factors.
Diversity and creating a culture of inclusion is a key pillar of Wilfrid Laurier University’s Strategic Academic Plan and is one of Laurier’s core values. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any sexual identities and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives at email@example.com. Candidates from other equity seeking groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Employment Equity & Accessibility at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have strived to make our application process accessible however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007 or email@example.com.