- Provides senior level administrative support to the Director, 311 Toronto, including work direction and training to assigned staff
- Manages and schedules daily appointments and activities, coordinates meetings, events, and organizes daily schedule around urgent requests and priorities
- Screens, reviews and prioritizes incoming mail, processes correspondence, and initiates responses
- Maintains continuous awareness of corporate and Divisional administrative systems and procedures, organization structure and major activities in order to provide effective administrative support
- Exercises caution and discretion with labour relations, personnel and other confidential information
- Drafts correspondence, composes and types letters and memoranda and routes or answers correspondence. Takes/transcribes minutes as required
- Conducts background research, investigations and retrieves information on various issues
- Ensures that the tracking and following up of requests is maintained and deadlines are met
- Coordinates and maintains an efficient and effective record/retrieval system for the office in accordance with the Corporate Record Management guidelines
- Liaises with and exchanges information with all levels of staff, elected officials and the public
- Prepares and processes various documents/statistical summaries/reports requiring the assessment and analysis of data
- Checks work for accuracy and conformity with regulations, policies and procedures and corrects/resolves outstanding/incorrect items prior to signature. Proofreads own and other’s material
- Operates various office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of desktop applications and corporate systems. Prepares presentation material utilizing detailed layout and formatting
- Responds to enquiries and complaints from senior staff, the public, agencies, and other levels of government utilizing in-depth knowledge of procedures, regulations, criteria, etc. and records detailed messages
- Assists with P-card reconciliation
- Prepares and organizes Council materials (including confidential and employment/labour relation matters, Auditor General reports), background, briefing notes
- Formats Committee reports prior to signature
- Provides administrative and payroll support and coverage to other units within the Division as required
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience providing administrative support to senior management, handling a broad range of administrative matters, standard office practices and procedures, some of which must specifically relate to the actual duties of the position.
- Considerable experience in the preparation, drafting, editing and formatting of complex reports, correspondence, presentations, charts, tables and statements.
- Considerable experience in taking minutes at meetings, required follow up activities and handling confidential and complex documents and reports.
- Considerable experience in the use of a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office Suite, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, to prepare correspondence, presentations, statistical reports and charts related to organizing, analyzing and reporting data.
- Experience in planning and organizing appointments, meetings, interviews, conferences, and special events.
- Excellent organization and time management skills, with the ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and deal with conflicting priorities in a high volume, high stress environment.
- Ability to provide work direction to administrative staff, including training and orientation.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in dealing with highly confidential materials and matters.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with proven ability to handle sensitive issues.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision, prioritizing work schedule, complete assigned duties within timelines.
- Highly developed customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at all organizational levels, including the political level, members of the public and external partners and agencies.
- Ability to research, gather, and summarize information.
- Ability to occasionally work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as required.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.