The First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC) is an independent society led by a strong and diverse board of about 100 First Nations community representatives. FNESC is committed to improving education for all First Nations students in BC. FNESC works in partnership with the First Nations School Association (FNSA), and the Indigenous Adult Higher Learning Association (IAHLA), as well as other partner organizations.
Since its establishment in 1992, FNESC has worked to communicate the priorities of BC First Nations to the federal and provincial governments and to support First Nations communities in working together to advance education issues. Communications, research, partnership-building and advocacy are all central to FNESC’s activities.
We are currently searching for an Administrative Assistant, Human Resources and Support Services to join our team and play a key role in supporting our commitment to improve education for all First Nation students in BC.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Human Resources Support:
- Maintaining the FNESC Employee Leave records;
- Assisting with recruitment and selection processes;
- Coordinating orientation for new employees;
- Participating on the FNESC Occupational Health and Safety Committee, and Team FNESC Committee as the Secretary;
- Updating and distributing FNESC employee contact lists and organizational charts;
- Managing disability and WorkSafe BC claims;
- Maintaining employee files;
- Coordinating employee recognition and team-building events;
Office Management Support:
- Maintain inventories and monitoring use of all office supplies;
- Contacting and working with various contractors and office management to ensure the efficient and safe operations and upkeep of the office;
- Ordering and coordinating delivery and assembly of office furniture and fixings;
- Maintaining FNESC office assets inventory and conducting an annual inventory review;
- Maintaining and assigning office alarm system passwords and office keys;
- Providing assistance with the planning, preparation and implementation of workshops and conferences;
- Assisting with the coordination of staff meetings and Personnel Committee meetings;
- Assisting with the preparation, set up/take down, and daily job tasks during all FNESC, FNSA and IAHLA Conferences.
- Setting up and maintaining up-to-date program filing and record keeping systems for all human resources and office management functions;
- Providing relief support for Reception at lunch time on a rotational basis and during absences as required.
Requirements of the Position:
The position will require an individual that has:
- A minimum of Grade 12 education plus one year of study or equivalent combination of experience and education (Human Resources, Office Administration, etc,);
- A minimum of two (2) years’ clerical and/or secretarial experience in an office environment;
- A good understanding of First Nations history and culture, and ideally some knowledge of education issues;
- A strong understanding of privacy and confidentiality combined with the ability to maintain confidentiality on all personal and organizational information;
- A satisfactory criminal records check;
- A valid BC Driver’s license and;
- Flexibility for travel when/if required.
Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. The office hours of employment will be between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. with a one-hour break for lunch. However, the nature of this position is such that some additional time with notice may be required and there is a possibility of work on weekends or during the evenings and minimal travel may be required.
FNESC Office, West Vancouver, BC
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in FNESC. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications, we are only able to respond to those applicants who are selected for an interview. We cannot respond to telephone or email inquiries.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position is $40,000 to $42,000 per year.
FNESC offers above average benefits and pension programs, above average vacation entitlement, professional development funds, and a professional, respectful, diverse workplace.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com