Capital Planning Officer
Administrative Officer R27
There are 3 permanent positions available and 2 temporary opportunities until December 31, 2019 and March 15, 2020.
An eligibility list may be established.
It’s your time to Achieve, Excel and Succeed in this career building role
At the Capital Management Branch, we believe in working hard for a purpose while being impactful. Are you passionate about helping BC students and the public education sector? We are looking for driven and determined people interested in joining our team.
Want to feel good about the work you do? As the Capital Planning Officer, you will be the first point of contact for school district management staff for projects relating to capital funds. Part of this work is also analyzing business cases and preparing reports for funding approval of project such as new schools, additions, roof replacements and building envelope repairs.
We approve funding and provide oversight of major capital programs and projects. As such, being able to build effective and strategic relationships is key as we are the liaisons for our stakeholders and their facility needs.
Are you looking to gain experience with multi million-dollar project budgets? We work together with school districts to get their capital project funding approved and to provide oversight on the project process. You will need to be a multi-tasking pro who is able to track multiple reports at once and report back on budgeting issues. You will always also need to be a thorough and clear communicator.
Are you seeking a new challenge? Do you want to work with a collaborative team committed to quality, innovation, and an ongoing focus on excellence? We offer a professional, fun and dynamic place to stretch your skills where meaningful contributions can be made. Do you like to travel, and do you want to see the beauty of our Province? This position can be expected to travel periodically to meet business needs with pier diems and travel expenses covered.
Not only will you work with a great team, but there is a clear career path within this team to promotional leadership opportunities!
Consider joining our committed team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace. Speaking of rewards, there are many advantages of working for government, including:
- Extensive health and dental benefits
- A strong pension plan
- Modified work weeks (FLEX)
- 3 weeks or more of vacation
- 35 hour work weeks
- Work life balance focused
- Flexible work spaces
- Endless opportunities for growth and education
- Opportunities for development and advancement
- Clear career path to higher management positions
- The building for this position offers free coffee, nearby and onsite inexpensive lunch time work fitness classes, covered bike lock-up, shower facilities and lockers.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Rachelle.Ray@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree or diploma in planning, architecture, civil or structural engineering, or any related field; an equivalent combination of education and recent and related experience may be considered. *Recent and related experience should be within the last 5 years.
- Minimum 1 year experience managing and contributing to project teams.
- Basic experience creating and maintaining spreadsheets.
- Minimum 1 year experience developing and preparing recommendations, project plans and/or reports for executive.
- Preference may be given to applicants with experience reviewing business cases and project proposals for capital projects.
- Preference may be given to applicants with experience working on public sector capital projects.
- Preference may be given to applicants with experience analyzing architectural/construction drawings.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: (Application requirement options and the corresponding screening process)
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume required: YES – A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.