ADULT LEARNING CENTRE INSTRUCTOR
Full-Time Regular Position
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Aboriginal learners and mature students.
The Position: UCN Adult Learning Centre requires an English/ESL Teacher. We are looking for a talented teaching professional who is passionate about helping all students reach their full potential. Teachers at the UCN Adult Learning Centre are responsible to teach Manitoba high school curriculum and courses intended to prepare students for high school or post-secondary studies. This position will involve teaching Manitoba high school English and English for Academic Success courses. In addition, this position will involve developing, promoting, and teaching ESL classes based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and the LINC curriculum standards.
- A Bachelor of Education Degree with a Valid Manitoba Teaching Permit or the ability to obtain prior to start date
- TESL, TEFOL, or acceptable ESL training from a recognized Canadian institution Recent experience teaching high school English and Humanities and ESL classes
- Must have sound understanding and ability to implement high school curriculum adaptable to adult learners Demonstrated understanding of adult learning principles and application in an adult learning environment Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the cultural influences and specific needs of adult learners in northern Manitoba
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the cultural influences and specific needs of recent immigrants in northern Manitoba
- Experience using provincial curriculum frameworks
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills Strong organizational and self-management skills
- Good computer skills
- The ability to speak an Aboriginal language
- Experience working with Aboriginal and northern learners
- Experience working with adult learners or in an adult learning centre
- Experience working with adult newcomers and the immigrant community Certificate in Adult Education
- Experience using Reading Apprenticeship in the classroom
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada Must be willing to work days and evenings
- Candidates must complete a Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check in the last three months
- Instructors are required to complete a certificate in Adult Education (CAE)
- Applicants must provide a cover letter, résumé, references and copies of their transcripts with their application.
- Applicants must demonstrate on their résumé how they meet the qualifications.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Aboriginal candidates. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 17-017
Closing Date: April 14, 2017
Salary Range: $31.40 to $46.64 hourly, plus remoteness allowance
Apply to: University College of the North, Attention: Human Resources
P.O. Box 3000
The Pas MB R9A 1M7
Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba).
For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.