Leverage your client support experience and ability to troubleshoot desktop software, hardware, network connection, printers, and multi-function devices as an Application & Technical Support Specialist 2 with the City of Toronto.
Reporting to the IT Analyst, you will draw upon your considerable experience in providing technical support related to Applications and Desktops. This temporary (12-month), full-time position involves travel to off-site locations.
Your primary responsibilities as an Application & Technical Support Specialist 2 will be varied.
Specifically, you will:
- Schedule workload and set priorities.
- Liaise and coordinate with internal and external groups to resolve problems.
- Develop and recommend improvements to current environment, policies and processes.
- Acquire, configure and dispose of hardware and software.
- Monitor and maintain access and security of data, network, and telecom infrastructure.
- Provide expertise in assessment, analysis, problem resolution, and issue prevention for hardware, software, security, access control, networking, connectivity.
- Perform capacity planning.
- Respond to user inquiries, investigate and analyze problems and develops solutions and/or action plans.
- Prepare training material and provide training in use of technology.
- Prepare documentation to facilitate transfer of knowledge.
- Support the centralized management of access control.
- Install and roll out application, hardware and/or software and take inventory of such assets.
- Travel to off-site locations.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of current Corporate and Divisional standard desktop applications.
Your application for the role of Application & Technical Support Specialist 2 must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- A University Degree in computer science or related discipline or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Considerable experience in a technical client support function.
- Considerable experience with LAN/WAN technology and network hardware, software and operating systems (i.e. Novell, Windows, desktop, configuration, etc.).
- Considerable experience with desktop applications (i.e. Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Project, etc.).
- Considerable experience in diagnosing, troubleshooting and resolving issues with desktop software, hardware, network connection printers and multi-function devices.
You must also have:
- Excellent technical, organizational, problem solving, multi-tasking skills with the ability to set priorities, co-ordinate a diverse workload and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff.
- Knowledge and understanding of systems and network hardware and software such as Novell Netware, Windows, Ethernet, IP, routers, switches, and network management tools (e.g. virus protection and server monitoring), multi-function devices, and printers.
- Knowledge of social assistance business practices and delivery systems, such as SAMS.
- Ability to lift/move equipment/boxes up to 30 kg.
- Ability to report to various work sites.
- General knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Act.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at (firstname.lastname@example.org), quoting the job ID #2260609 and the job classification title.