Reporting to the Supervisor, Information & Technology Public Health (IT Service & Financial Management), this position will coordinate the evaluation and procurement of Information Technology requests and will provide technical support related to computer applications, computer hardware and mobile devices.
- Schedules workload and sets priorities
- Ensures that the project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Assists in preparing and monitoring operating and capital budgets including analysis and monitoring of the division’s program expenditures, and advises management of any concerns
- Communicates and promotes corporate standards for acquisition and disposal of hardware and software
- Conduct market research on required IT products and services, to provide solutions and make appropriate recommendations
- Maintain knowledge of both current and emerging IT trends
- Provides expertise in assessment, analysis, evaluation of alternatives and resolution of issues and problems in assigned areas
- Recommends preventative solutions to mitigate recurrence of similar problems
- Develops and recommends improvements to current environment, policies and processes
- Acquires and disposes of IT hardware and software following the corporate standards and procedures relative to purchasing, contract administration, accounts payable and accruals
- Advises desktop configuration management teams on IT hardware and software technologies and deployment alternatives
- Advises network management teams on IT hardware and software technologies, connectivity and backup and recovery alternatives
- Advises security management and control teams on security related technologies and access control alternatives
- Prepares training material for coaching clients and provides training to clients in use of technology
- Negotiate delivery and pick up schedules and the required product substitutions and specification alterations with suppliers and clients
- Prepares statistics and drafts summary reports, budget reports, variance reports, capital business cases and acquisition documents
- Prepares documentation to facilitate transfer of knowledge and drafts and recommends policies, procedures and standards as they relate to technology
- Liaises and works in partnership with Information & Technology Division, Purchasing and Materials Management Division, Toronto Public Health’s finance unit, internal and external groups, and vendors.
- Installs and rolls out application, hardware and/or software and takes inventory of such assets
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- University degree in computer science or a related discipline or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience using I&T tools and financial applications (e.g. HP Asset Management, HP Service Manager, SAP).
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Visio).
- Considerable experience with various IT procurement processes, contract management and preparing related procurement and budget documents (e.g., Purchase Order, Business Case, Request for Quotation, Request for Proposal, Soul Source etc.)
- Experience in a client support function and dealing with vendors.
- Experience in diagnosing, troubleshooting and resolving issues with desktop and web software, computer hardware, network connection, mobile devices, printers, and multi-function devices.
You must also have:
- Skills and knowledge in the analysis and interpretation of financial data and the ability to work accurately with figures.
- Ability to work effectively with project managers relative to IT hardware and software acquisitions for large scale projects.
- Ability to understand and interpret legal terms and conditions as they apply to IT procurement.
- Ability to make judgements about the application of technology to business needs and resolve end user problems in a client/server and web environment.
- Knowledge of ITIL processes. ITIL certification would be an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of systems and network hardware and software such as Novell Netware, Windows 7/8.1/10, Ethernet, IP, routers, switches, and network management tools (e.g. virus protection and server monitoring) and XEROX Multi-function devices and printers.
- Relationship management skills to communicate and work effectively with colleagues, consultants, solicitors and other internal and external contacts.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work effectively, in a fast paced, constantly changing environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at all organizational level
- Ability to lift/move equipment/boxes up to 40lbs.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting the job ID #2263541 and the job classification title.