Asst Vice President – Commercial Banking – Eastern Quebec Region : 00008PEO
Employment Type: Regular
SMEs play a significant role in driving the economic health of most markets around the world and represent the vast majority of businesses in any economy. As the world continues to become more connected, SMEs will increasingly become international and we know that international customers are more profitable and that HSBC is better placed to meet their needs than for purely domestic customers. Accordingly, we have a clear strategy for Business Banking to be the International SME Bank.
The jobholder will lead, coach, manage and develop a team of Business Banking RMs to deliver bespoke strategic objectives to retain and grow customer portfolio. This should be achieved by a strong ability to provide direction in assessing and capturing customer needs and opportunities effectively within the existing, new and prospective customer base and ensuring the proposed solutions meet their specific needs. The jobholder is expected to manage a team of Business Banking Managers to acquire, retain, and grow International SME CMB customer relationships for HSBC adhering to the Group values, business strategy, operational policies, regulatory requirements and risk management practices. The Business Banking segment is core to Commercial Banking and this position is required to maximize the value of these relationships internationally by working closely with group offices and product partners. International revenue will form a primary part of the total revenue.
They are responsible for developing their team of Business Banking Managers to ensure delivery of the teams financial plan and deliver best in class customer experience in line with the Business Banking strategy to become the bank of choice for international SMEs. The will ensure the acquisition of quality relationships from customers we want to bank by providing practical coaching, advice and guidance to their team and ensure that they have strong credit skills.
To participate in strategic decisions to drive the Business Banking business forward, with a strong focus on high value, quality international customers and prospects. Working with relevant stakeholders the role holder will often combine acting as the senior point of call to support the design and pricing of solutions for clients.
To drive best practice in lending and risk policies ensuring this remains in line with economic and market practices.
Impact on the Business
- Take a hands-on approach to achieving team and individual business objectives and performance management.
- Assist the team to help the customer to draw on the HSBC group network by working closely with other CMB sites and product groups (GTRF, G&M, I&I and PCM).
- Work closely with team to structure appropriate credit facilities for the relationship
- Through intelligent activity management, ensure a select mix of new business with a focus on international high value prospects.
- Support BB RMs directly with high value and complex existing and new to bank customers.
- Build a network of business introducers in the local professional and business community.
- Champions international business through the International Relationship Managers in accordance with the Global IRM principles and promotes HSBC as the bank of choice for international SMEs.
- Adopt and ensure fully effective utilisation of all tools and systems provided by the bank to assist in service and sales delivery.
- Effectively price for risk.
- Maintaining an effective credit and operational risk management framework in the Area.
- Minimise impairment charges.
- Drive proactive collaboration with product partners, Head of International, and other Global Businesses to deliver maximum value of HSBC products and services to each assigned customer in the portfolio.
- Monitor and lead cross country referrals facilitated via Global Links and local or overseas IBC, whichever is appropriate.
- Monitor referrals for other Global Businesses, e.g. Private Banking, GBM, RBWM, as appropriate.
- Keep abreast of external factors influencing international business e.g. economic, cultural, geographical, procedural and regulatory requirements.
- Lead and develop a team, establishing cultural and behavioural excellence, high engagement, and effective performance management for the long term benefit of the bank.
- Keeping up-to-date on knowledge of HSBC’s international strategy, capabilities and policies.
- Keeping abreast of external factors influencing international business e.g. economic, cultural, geographical, procedural and regulatory requirements.
- Maintaining excellent communication with Group colleagues to ensure a joined up approach to identifying and capturing cross border opportunities.
- Building strong relationships with HSBC international customers/prospects and accountants/lawyers, Trade Advisors and any other international related organisations.
- Work with product partners (such as PCM, Trade, Insurance) to assess needs of international and domestic customers and offer appropriate solutions.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Put customers first in all that we do and develop/increase connectivity
- Owning customer engagement, ensuring service excellence at all times, for all aspects of any customer, prospect or professional’s interaction with HSBC and to improve customer engagement.
- Optimising the potential value and profitability of existing relationships by assisting in the delivery of solutions, products and services appropriate to meet customer need
- Help the customer to draw on the HSBC group network by working closely with other CMB countries and product groups (GTRF, GM and PCM)
- Ensure that RMs take a proactive approach to client planning collaborating effectively with products partners and colleagues to assess customer needs and delivering appropriate solutions.
- Be an ambassador for HSBC and develop the bank’s profile in the local ‘International Business’ community.
- Take personal ownership of the customer experience, and ensure all team members take personal responsibility for managing their customers’ total relationship with HSBC.
- Establish an effective dialogue and working relationship with Risk Management teams in order to build a sustainable asset growth.
- Provision of appropriate strategic business ideas based on awareness of market and industry initiatives and customer feedback.
- Participate in internal and external business events, road shows and seminars as required by the business.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Coordinate/participate/pull product partners into the relationship to ensure appropriate coverage by product partners and alignment to agreed account objectives. Actively coach teams to do the same with their relationships
- Share best practice with group offices and other business lines with region and globally
- Lead, motivate and inspire the team to achieve the Group strategy and business objectives
- Establish cultural and behavioural excellence and develop high engagement across the team
- Be ultimately responsible for the performance management of your team, using relevant performance management tools, ensuring timely action is taken to improve underperformance, to maximise effectiveness of the team.
- Share knowledge, experience and best practices with junior RMs within and outside of immediate team and promote a collective culture to spread experience & best practice.
- Take a hands-on approach to coaching with regular & productive use of Personal Development Plans and appropriate follow up.
- Ensure development activities are a core priority and enable all team members to take reasonable time for learning and developmental activities.
- Ensure the team is resourced to headcount plan, sufficient to meet the demands and opportunities of the business.
- Develop appropriate retention strategies within the team’s cost plan.
- Manage succession for key roles using internal and selective hires where appropriate.
- Live the Group Values.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Ensure the role holder and their team:
- Adhere to structures and processes in place for the management of credit, operational, reputation and regulatory risk.
- Ensure credit and operational quality is not compromised in the pursuit of income
- Appropriate approach to risk management.
- Ensure credit and operational quality is not compromised in the pursuit of income throughout the Area.
- Minimise operational losses and fraud.
- Risk controls to be in accordance with Group standards.
- Demonstrate adherence to internal controls.
- Respond within agreed timelines to issues raised by audit and external regulators.
- Protect sensitive customer and bank information by ensuring documents, computers, files, and all confidential matters are appropriately handled as set forth by policy.
- Ensure all sales and prospecting activity documentation is complete to provide performance tracking and targeting future sales efforts.
- Liaise with direct service channels if/when appropriate to certify and deliver an outstanding service to customers.
- Act as a role model for commercial standards of integrity and encourage others to meet those standards at all times.
- Compliance with and management of sales suitability risks and requirements
- Ensure all completed sales and prospecting activity documentation is appropriately completed, approved and stored to provide performance tracking, targeted future sales efforts and compliance with sales and transactional suitability guidelines and requirements
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- The role holder must have a broad knowledge in business operations and banking services but in depth knowledge of complex credit structures, International Trade and Global Markets products as the role holder must gain the confidence of the customers’ decision makers so they are regarded as a key first point of senior contact above the RM. The role holder is also expected to guide and coach the team in these areas of product, negotiation, superior customer service, KYCC etc.
- Cross border servicing is expected to be high and to coach the team to think internationally with a view to connecting the client across the group is key. Driving international revenues via implementation of the IRM model.
- Keeping the client engaged is a major challenge
- Interacting/engaging with product partners at all times is key to ensure that clients have the appropriate products.
- The role holder will be expected to have wide connections within and outside of HSBC to maximize business development opportunities and motivate team to achieve targets in a competitive environment.
- Managing to a precise and exacting mandate to effectively manage the extant book whilst only seeking to selectively drive new business. Focus on high value quality international customers and prospects. At the same time ensuring commitment to the domestic type of customer (no unavoidable loss of customer, driving high customer engagement).
- Achieve RoRWA and RoE in line with Group guidelines while effectively managing credit and other risks.
- Reporting to Executive Management.
- Operate effectively in stressful and often sensitive situations.
- Managing and reducing credit exposure in strategically determined sectors (RE, construction, hotels & restaurants – industry risk appetite in each country to be inserted).
- Be aware of the specific implications of legal and regulatory changes.
- CMB is a relationship business, at the heart of the Group’s strategy to be the Leading International Bank and is positioned as the Leading International Trade and Business Bank. Business Banking within CMB will increasingly be driven with a clear international orientation, achieving a superior return and growth rate from international SMEs.
- The Group has a strategic objective to become the Leading International Bank, which builds on our global network, recognises the increasing globalisation of the world’s economy and the increased value of international customers. Our Group capabilities, coupled with our understanding of local markets and cultures worldwide, help us deliver innovative solutions to our internationally minded clients.
- The jobholder will be responsible for managing all aspects of the implementation of strategy, operational logistics and credit integrity of the Area. Furthermore they will be the primary representative of the CMB brand in the business area/Region.
- The jobholder will need to show resolute strength in ensuring only quality business is transacted and objectives to effectively manage the extant asset book are achieved.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology. Additionally they will ensure they effectively manage sales suitability, money laundering, counter terrorist financing, fraud, and reputational risk.
- This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring. Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
- This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
- BA in related discipline and 5-8 years of experience in related field OR MA and generally 3-5 years of experience in related field
- Relevant experience in managing complex commercial relationships with international needs
- Proven ability, with a successful record of accomplishment in:
- Driving a high performance culture across the team delivering customer and financial objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a particular emphasis upon inspiring, influencing and negotiating in dealing with customers and colleagues.
- Ability to effectively plan and organise, with tenacity to drive through results
- Good commercial lending, risk assessment, trade finance experience
- Excellent time management, planning and organisation skills
- Excellent range of communication skills, including written, verbal, and the ability to deliver compelling presentations.
- Strong credit assessment skills, particularly with regard to more complex and structured facilities with an international dimension.
- Leadership, performance management and team development.
- Commercial Sales Management.
- Strong analytical ability.
- Visible and motivational leadership.
- Strong credit assessment skills, particularly with regard to more complex and structured facilities with an international dimension
- Commercial acumen.
- Enthusiasm for collective management and the need to drive behavioural change, with an absolute intolerance of mediocrity.
- Innovative with a flair for solving problems.
- Knowledge of the Commercial Banking market both globally and specifically relating to the local environment, including the competitive landscape, with a detailed knowledge of competitor propositions.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and the ability to deliver compelling presentations.
- Broad knowledge of HSBC Group capabilities.
- Strong knowledge of CMB’s international proposition / product capabilities.
- Knowledge of group systems, including CARM, ClientVision, HORIS, Global Links and GRPT/RBPM
- Knowledge of CMB policies and procedures as per CMB & Credit FIMs
- Wide personal connections within the group and outside the group (chambers of commerce and other associations
- Qualification to a University Degree or/and relevant professional qualifications.
Job Field : Commercial Banking
Primary Location : North America-Canada-Quebec-Québec
Schedule : Full-time Shift : Day Job
Type of Vacancy : Country vacancy
Job Posting : 06-Feb-2017, 12:42:22 Unposting Date : 21-Feb-2017, 02:59:00