Assistant Store Manager, Cannabis Operations, Fort St. John
Assistant Manager R14
There is one (1) vacancy
STEP into a career with one of BC’s Top Employers since 2009.
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of two branches of Government responsible for the wholesale distribution and retail sale of beverage alcohol and non-medical cannabis. In 2018/19 the LDB recorded gross sales of $3.6 billion, generating a net income of $1.104 billion that supported vital public services including health care and education. It has a workforce of approximately 4600 full- and part-time employees working across 197 BC Liquor Stores, two BC Cannabis Stores (online and stand alone), a Head Office, three Wholesale Customer Centres and three Distribution Centres. The LDB is led by a General Manager and CEO who is responsible for administering the Liquor Distribution Act and the Cannabis Distribution Act, subject to direction from the Minister. As part of BC’s mixed-model retail system for liquor and non-medical cannabis, the LDB is committed to providing customers with an enhanced shopping environment, an expansive product selection and a high level of service.
The Assistant Manager, under the general supervision of the Store Manager, assists in all facets of the management of a major retail operation, by providing leadership and direction, controlling costs and maximizing revenue through the achievement of sales targets. Responsibilities include providing excellent customer service and education to the public.
The Assistant Manager is responsible for assisting in developing and implementing operational plans, developing annual store budgets, controlling employment costs, and analyzing reports. The Assistant Manager is expected to contribute to establish and improve the Cannabis Store image through the implementation and maintenance of policies. The Assistant Manager is also involved in the hiring, training and development of staff, scheduling assignments, participating as required in all store duties as well as being actively involved in labour relations matters for the work unit.
The Assistant Manager will assume management of the store in the Store Manager’s absence.
To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process. Please note that a cover letter is a requirement for this competition.
An eligibility list for temporary or permanent future opportunities may be established. An enhanced security screening check is required.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Ray Sandhu, Advisor, HR – Talent & Compensation by phone at 604-252-8569. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Visit Careers at www.bcldb.com
Education and Experience:
A minimum of one year of recent, related experience.
Recent related work experience must include:
- Supervisory experience in positions with operational management.
- Leading, directing, managing and training an operational team within a retail operation.
- Leading operational changes to achieve business operations and improve profitability.
- Leading and collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- Relationship management with key stakeholders including customer and/or clients.
Degree, diploma or certificate in business or retail management preferred.
Experience working in a government or regulatory environment, preferred.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of a computerized retail system, including Point of Sale and Inventory Management applications.
- Current external business environment conditions which have an impact on the LDB business: retail trends, consumer preferences, etc.
- Financial management, human resource management.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong leadership, change management and communication skills.
- Excellent issues management.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with internal and external customers and/or clients.
- Ability to lead the development and implementation of operational policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to lead, direct and develop a team effectively.