|Posting ID :
|Apply By :
|Position Title :
||Audio Visual Systems Specialist
|Job Type :
|Reports To :
||Manager, AVIT and Technical Support
|Position Summary :
||At Laurier, we are a community. It’s what brings our students here and what keeps our people here.
As an educational institution, we inspire lives of leadership and purpose in our student community. As an employer, we seek, foster and value the same qualities of leadership and purpose in our employee community.
We currently have an opportunity to join the Laurier community as an Audio Visual Systems Specialist.
The ICT Audio Visual Systems Specialist is a subject matter expert and professional who will design and configure AV systems, and troubleshoot to resolution issues beyond level 1 and 2. This system specialist will also bring IT skills and knowledge of current and future AV environments to the university. The Specialist will work effectively with multi-disciplinary groups such as construction project leaders and managers, IT Leadership teams, project stakeholders and technology vendors. The incumbent will design and recommend advanced AV systems that may include video wall processing, video streaming, video conferencing, digital signage networks, active learning and standard classrooms. Programming of control and DSP systems is a requirement of the position. The incumbent will have a fundamental understanding of unified communications.
This specialist will be required to maintain levels of manufacturer training to ensure their effectiveness as a system troubleshooter. Must have intermediate or higher level design abilities integrating AV components such as: Biamp and BSS DSPs, data projectors, Cisco Telepresence, Extron processors and matrix routers.
The Specialist requires a level of integration experience in video, audio and network routing at the wire, termination and patch level, and requires the appropriate knowledge to provide recommendations for wire category, shielding and termination choices for projects.
The incumbent is expected to work with technical support staff in other departments of the university to ensure that the services offered by ICT meet the requirements of the institution.
The incumbent will be required to provide support services including remote and in person 2nd and 3rd level technical support for IT hardware and software, telephony, video and classroom technology. They will also be required to provide documentation, training and applications support. Given the diversity of users in the University and, the breadth of hardware and software deployed, a high level of technical knowledge is required.
Accountabilities : Design and Implementation of Audio Visual Spaces
- Build relationships with clients to understand and define their AV project requirements;
- Design, document and recommend AV systems for classrooms, meeting rooms and other projects meeting with key stakeholders to ensure their needs are met;
- Work with management to recommend and review design specifications;
- Review, edit, and produce audio, visual, and control diagrams (MS Visio is preferred)
- Work and build relationships with vendors to scope projects, receive quotes, and set vendor expectations for project diagrams, documentation and training; understand new technologies on the horizon
- Perform audio visual hardware and software evaluations
- Lead and coordinate AVIT installation projects that will include renovations and new projects
- Write and troubleshoot Extron control programs to support AV systems that are currently installed with single or multiple control processors
- Write and troubleshoot audio DSP programs for new and currently installed integrated audio systems that require voice lift, echo control and feedback elimination
- Stay knowledgeable about current construction safety practices with regard to equipment installation
- Participate in recommending and coordinating classroom evergreen strategies for scheduled equipment replacement
- Create scope documentation for AV installations and related networking components
- Work with Laurier’s Facilities and Asset Management Dept and installation vendors to coordinate integration efforts to meet project timelines
- Lead the testing and commissioning activities through the duration of the project
- Responsible and accountable for project documentation including vendor quotes, user requirements, user training materials, functional diagrams, etc.
- Effective problem resolution and provide technical support services to the campus community;
- Perform routine maintenance such as physical cleaning of the AV equipment, hardware firmware updates, rear projection lens and chassis cleaning, projector lamp replacements and cleaning of projector filters in classrooms;
- Provides training and assistance for staff, faculty, students and external clients on a variety of AV media technology such as Extron/Crestron equipment, and high-definition video conferencing solutions in a classroom/meeting room environment;
- Performs periodic firmware updates on AV control processor and switching equipment, DSPs, UPSs, and video wall systems;
- Provides technical support remotely or on-site for client workstations and peripherals in classrooms, meeting rooms or at events;
- Ensures that service requests and incidents are logged, assigned, and resolved in accordance with service level agreements and service management best practices
- Basic support and triage of network connectivity – DHCP, DNS, TCPIP
- Provides software support on current operating systems – Microsoft Windows 10 and MAC OS;
- Setup, configure and maintain Cisco Video Telepresence devices and Management Suite web interface
- Support current and future collaboration technologies such Skype for Business
- May be required to travel to any Laurier campus or location to provide support; where possible, provide technical support remotely Acts as a backup for other members of the ICT Support team as required;
- Community College Diploma with 5 years work experience in a related field, preferably in a post-secondary institution
- Extron XTP/DTP system integration and testing experience required
- Extron Control Professional certification with is required; and three years of Extron programming experience
- 3 years of experience with Audio Digital Signal Processor (DSP) programming to optimize and configure performance sound, voice lift, Automatic Echo Control (AEC), for classrooms, meeting rooms and auditoriums
- InfoComm Certified Technology Specialist CTS certificate is a definite asset
- Recent Solid knowledge of audio visual media technology used in the classroom such as projectors, switching equipment, video conferencing (Cisco telepresence and high-definition video conferencing solutions) and teaching console computers
- Strong analytical, problem solving and issue resolution skills
- Experience in configuring video wall processing management software and hardware (e.g. Christie Digital, Extron) an asset
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft products such as Office Suite 365, Visio, Active Directory and System Centre Configuration Management (SCCM), Microsoft operating systems
- Experience with collaborative technologies such as Cisco Spark, Skype for Business, and lecture capture hardware/software;
- ITIL Foundation Certification and A+ certification a definite asset
- Advanced knowledge and technical experience with computer hardware, software, MACs, and the ability to troubleshoot and provide timely resolutions
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills and strong knowledge of customer service best practices
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; be able to collaborate and interact effectively with all levels of users and varying levels of technical expertise in a diverse high demand environment;
- Strong organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail, , proven ability to handle multiple priorities, work under short deadlines and manage changing priorities
- Ability to work –and part of a team
- A professional approach and positive attitude with a willingness to learn new technology showing initiative
- Ability to be discreet and to maintain confidential information
- Physical ability to remove and replace installed equipment
||$33.33 to $39.23 per hour
|Salary Notes :
This position has been deemed eligible for education equivalencies.
This position is currently under review.
|Please Note :
This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.