Management Band 3
This position is excluded from union membership.
An eligibility list may be established.
It’s your time to Achieve, Excel and Succeed in this career building roleEmergency Management British Columbia (EMBC) is the lead coordinating agency in the provincial government for all emergency management activities. As such, EMBC’s mission is to be responsible to British Columbians for leading the management of provincial level emergencies and disasters and supporting other authorities within their areas of jurisdiction.
The Manager of Planning operates at a strategic level and leads the development, implementation, maintenance and coordination of British Columbia’s integrated, disaster risk reduction and emergency management planning. The Manager provides advice and recommendations to executives regarding all aspects of emergency planning and strives to ensure outcomes are consistent with EMBC priorities.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Kelly.Briggs@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- University Degree in emergency management; OR University Degree in another discipline with education and/or training in emergency management; OR an equivalent combination of emergency management-related education and/or training may be considered.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in planning, organizing and managing a provincial program.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the leadership and supervision of staff including developing and evaluating employee performance, coaching, team building and mentoring.
- Experience in leading and developing complex, multi-stakeholder plans in a regional, provincial, national, or international context.
- Experience leading and coaching staff in the development and implementation of complex projects, programs, and/or services.
- Experience establishing, working with and managing relationships with various stakeholder groups including executive and other levels of government.
- Experience in budget/financial management and contract management.
Preference may be given to candidates with:
- Project Management Professional certification.
- Experience working with First Nations organizations or communities.
Candidates must be willing and able to:
- Work on-call and extended hours during emergency activations, including operational deployments across the province.
- Travel to locations throughout the province.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume required: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.