Director Indigenous Education
Management Band 4
This position is excluded from union membership.
An eligibility list may be established.
Combine your client service, stakeholder engagement and strategic planning skills in this challenging role
The Aboriginal Education Branch provides leadership across the education sector, to improve results for Aboriginal students, and to increase the presence of Aboriginal languages, cultures, and histories for all students. The Aboriginal Education Branch works across government and with sector partners on collaborative strategies. The branch also advises school districts on direction and effective practices and works within the Ministry to effect system change.
The branch is coordinating the Ministry’s efforts to implement the British Columbia Tripartite Education Agreement, advance Indigenous Language Learning, and respond to the recommendations of the Office of the Auditor General. Projects led by the branch include Equity in Action.
This role will lead the development and management of strategic, high impact/risk stakeholder relationships, including the management of multi-disciplinary projects and initiatives.
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Jacqueline.OCallaghan@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Post-secondary degree in education, public administration, related field or equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in leadership roles in a professional service or stakeholder management environment.
- Experience establishing collaborative relationships with senior leaders within all levels of government especially within Aboriginal communities and leading organizational change associated with implementation of new learning strategies.
- Experience leading and coaching multi-disciplinary senior management teams in the development and implementation of a diverse range of projects related to Aboriginal learning.
- Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Experience working with Indigenous organizations and/or communities.
- Candidates who self-identify as Indigenous.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: NO
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.