Director of Policy
Management Band 4
An eligibility list may be established for future permanent and/or temporary vacancies.
This position is excluded from union membership.
An opportunity to apply your exceptional leadership, organizational and prioritization skills
The Strategic Policy Branch leads the development, implementation and evaluation of the ministry’s strategic policy agenda and the development of B.C.’s first poverty reduction strategy. The branch is also responsible for leading the ministry’s intergovernmental relations activities, including Federal/Provincial/Territorial and Indigenous partnerships and strategic initiatives
The Director leads a team of Policy Analysts to undertake policy development related to the ministry’s mandate. The Director works in a fast-paced environment with multiple, competing deadlines.
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The BC Public Service is an inclusive and accessible employer. Please advise the hiring manager if any accommodations are required to assist you to ensure equitable participation.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Whitney.Borowko@gov.bc.ca DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- University degree in social sciences, business administration, public administration, law, or related discipline OR
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- A minimum 3 years of experience leading, planning, coordinating and managing complex projects and assignments with multiple components and tight timelines.
- A minimum 3 years of experience providing public policy advice and drafting briefing materials for senior Executives and/or elected officials including briefing notes, estimates notes, and cabinet documents.
- A minimum 1 year of experience leading, developing and empowering staff, and building and guiding multi-disciplinary teams.
Preference may be given to candidates with:
- Senior level experience with legislation, regulation and/or policy experience related to the BC Employment and Assistance program.
- Experience with building strategic alliances across organizations and with diverse stakeholders and partners.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.