Band 4 – Director, Real Estate & Construction, Corporate Operations
$87,600.00 – $114,100.00 per annum
Regular Full-Time/ Burnaby
STEP into a career with one of BC’s Top Employers since 2009.
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of the largest distributors and retailers of beverage alcohol in Canada, generating a net income of approximately $1.08 billion on annual sales of approximately $3.3 billion in fiscal 2016/17. LDB has a workforce of approximately 4,000 full and part-time employees, operates 197 retail stores across the province, oversees the operations of approximately 220 Rural Agency Stores and has the role of wholesaler to approximately 700 private liquor retail outlets and 10,000 licensed establishments. The LDB is also responsible for distribution of non-medical cannabis including wholesale, e-commerce and brick and mortar stores.
The LDB is a unique government entity that operates with similar independence to a Crown Corporation under the direction of a General Manager and CEO.
In February 2018, the LDB was assigned to distribute, wholesale and sell non-medicinal cannabis inclusive of a government owned online channel with a mandate to support government’s key priorities of protecting children and youth, ensuring health and safety standards, and keeping the criminal element out of the supply chain.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Corporate Operations, the Director, Real Estate and Construction, oversees a staff of 30 FTEs consisting of a diverse array of professional specialists and support staff and is accountable for developing, recommending, implementing and managing the business strategies, policies and procedures used by the organization for the identification of and planning for liquor and cannabis retail sites and LDB operations locations. This position is responsible for overseeing the renovation and/or upgrading of existing retail outlets; the negotiation and administration of lease agreements with LDB landlords and property owners/developers; the planning and management of all LDB construction activities (germane to either new or renovated stores); the “physical maintenance” of LDB retail sites as well as its Burnaby Head Office and the Delta, Kamloops and Richmond Distribution Centers as well as Burnaby Drygoods Warehouse, and overseeing environmental programs and planning for the LDB.
An eligibility list for permanent or temporary future opportunities may be established. A criminal record check is required.
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications, and competencies. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Please note that a cover letter is a requirement for this competition.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Nicole O’Reilly, HR Advisor at 604-252-8559. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
Visit Careers at: www.bcldb.com
Education and Experience:
- Post secondary diploma or degree in a related field and/or equivalent combination of education, training and significant experience in real estate development, leasing, facilities and project management.
- Experience as a progressive manager in a changing environment, providing leadership and developing staff.
- Preference may be given to candidates with experience in a retail environment.
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with external and internal customers/clients and government stakeholders and to communicate effectively with all levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adapt to changing environments and possess expertise and confidence to lead change.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee project management.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a team effectively.
- Excellent analytical, judgement, persuasion and consensus building abilities.
- Ability to link long-range visions and concepts to daily operations.
- Extensive knowledge of construction, leasing, project management and facilities management.
- Knowledge of retail industry/environment is preferred.