Senior Director, BC Developer’s Exchange
Management Band 4
This position is currently under review for exclusion.
An eligibility list may be established.
Bring your strong leadership skills to this dynamic team environment
The BC Developers’ Exchange is a recently established government program that is changing the way program areas throughout government, and the broader public sector, engage and work with the BC tech sector. The aim is to boost innovation by evolving government-wide policy, procedure, and practice so that open collaboration with BC software developers who are outside government becomes wide-scale, mainstream, practice. The BC Developers’ Exchange serves as the open collaboration and engagement platform for use by the BC Government and any/all BC public sector organizations. As a platform type initiative the BC Developers’ Exchange has two important stakeholder groups. On one side are BC Government and broader public sector program areas, and on the other are BC based software development companies and individual developers. Adopting the BC Developers’ Exchange requires that government entities change their historical practices so they align with leading practice among BC based software development firms.
The senior director leads the ongoing development and operation of the BC Developers’ Exchange. Success depends on government program areas agreeing to, and being successful with, making significant change in their historical practices for how government services are improved using information technology. The approach for this involves treating the BC Developers’ Exchange as a new digital service where the government program areas and BC software development companies and individual are the customers. Implementing the BC Developers’ Exchange program and platform using an approach that earns each customer and each opportunity is the challenge the senior director is expected to lead government through.
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from.
With over 200 different occupations available in 280 communities across the province, we offer exciting opportunities for your career. Come be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please see What We Offer.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Shirley.Nelson@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree or diploma in a technology discipline, agile project management, organizational design or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience in product design and practices gained working in a product delivery or service capacity for over 5 years.
- Demonstrated leadership experience successfully delivering innovative complex enterprise digital products or services. This includes the successful design, delivery and the ongoing DevOps management of high-quality services which maximized opportunities offered by modern digital technology.
- Demonstrated experience managing cross government and external stakeholder groups for the purposes of developing products or services as well as the adaptation or creation of policies, frameworks and guidelines all of which support a ministry mandate and the stated outcomes of government’s digital strategy.
- Demonstrated experience leading agile digital delivery teams that comprise of user experience and software development professionals to iteratively create or improve digital products and services.
- Experience of current agile product management technologies, which include the use of open source code, cloud platforms and continuous release environments.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing and using customer insight as well as UX user and performance data to design and continually improve digital services to fully meet user needs in a convenient and straightforward way.
- Practical experience and success in interpreting user behavior and trends to implement strategies to move users from traditional business processes to modern automated digital delivery channels.
- Experience managing change or working with change management groups.
- Experience managing budgets and negotiating systems development contracts
- Experience in a range of stakeholder management, issues management and communication functions within a corporate environment.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: YES – A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: You will be required to answer a brief standard questionnaire.