Senior Wildlife Biologist
An eligibility list may be established.
Make a difference in this rewarding career opportunity
In the capacity of a senior biologist, this position implements and supports wildlife management.
Surrounded by the Peace River Valley, Fort St. John has all the big city amenities that you need in a small friendly town. Fort St. Johnhas a full service hospital, nine public schools, two post-secondary schools, an airport as well endless recreation and cultural opportunities for everyone. Fort St. John is home to a variety of restaurants, accommodations, cultural and recreational centres. Visit the website Living & Working in Northern B.C. to learn more.
With over 200 different occupations available in 280 communities across the province, we offer exciting opportunities for your career. Come be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Aviva.Jones@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirement as outlined below:
- Bachelor’s Degree in biological sciences or related field, and minimum six years of related experience including field-based biological sampling, analysis and reporting, and/or providing advice within a regulatory regime.; OR
- Master’s Degree in biological sciences or related field, and minimum three years of related experience including field-based biological sampling, analysis and reporting, and/or providing advice within a regulatory regime.
- Registered (or eligible) as a Registered Professional Biologist (RP Bio) in B.C. with the College of Applied Biology within six months of employment.
- Experience assessing and monitoring natural resources.
Preference may be given to applicants with any of the following:
- Experience leading staff in project or field settings.
- Experience interpreting and applying natural resource management legislation and policy.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience engaging with First Nations.
- Must possess and maintain a valid British Columbia Class 5 driver’s licence or equivalent.
- Must be physically able to carry equipment and supplies in difficult terrain.
- Willingness to conduct field work in all weather conditions and environments. This may including travel to remote areas by vehicle, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in camp conditions and operation of a variety of equipment.
- Willingness to meet safety standards of WorkSafe BC.
Please include your registration number with the College of Applied Biology (CAB) within your application, as you must be registered or immediately eligible for registration as a Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) with CAB. If you are not yet registered with the CAB, please explain how you are immediately eligible (i.e. currently a Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer to the CAB). To assess your ability to meet these criteria, please visit the CAB website academic self-assessment tool.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume required: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying. A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.