CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW!
This is not your ordinary sales job. Our business development team members are the bridge between academia and industry partners or organizations. They spot opportunities and take action on behalf of Mitacs. They are at the forefront of marketing Mitacs programs and are analogous to matchmakers, who find the common interests between companies and researchers. To help you make your decision, we’d like to introduce you to someone in the role!
Sherry joined Mitacs in the summer of 2014 with a PhD in Analytical Chemistry. As a new international student attending Graduate School, she took the opportunity to participate in Step workshops and applied for an Accelerate internship. Sherry heard about the opening for a Business Development Specialist at Mitacs. Having strong people skills, she found that the job description was a great fit for her communication talents as well as her research curiosity. She contacted her local Mitacs Business Development Director, and they met over coffee to discuss what this role entailed. Convinced that this would be a great opportunity for her, Sherry applied for the position and was offered a 1 year contract. During this year, Sherry received on-the-job training and mentoring from senior team members, and honed her business development skills by meeting with local researchers and companies. She is now the Director of Business Development in Metro Vancouver, where she continues to be a valued Mitacs team member.
If you were to join Mitacs as the Business Development Specialist with UBCO, we’d ask you to do the following:
- Work closely with members of Mitacs Business Development, Research, and Programs teams to deliver high-quality programming
- Work closely with stakeholders at UBCO to fully understand the needs of the researchers and students, find partnership opportunities and identify the best programs to leverage the research opportunities uncovered, with an emphasis on building and supporting connections between UBCO, Mitacs and Indigenous Communities.
- Create and maintain a network of partners/clients in industry, the community and academia.
- Introduce companies and not-for-profit organizations to various Mitacs programs.
- Introduce partners to various university researchers, with an emphasis on identifying partnership opportunities for Indigenous scholars.
- Provide support to the Business Development Team as needed.
- Provide business development support to all Mitacs programs as needed.
- Provide business development and student engagement support to UBCO.
This sounds quite exciting and challenging, right? Let’s hope so, because if it does, there’s a good chance this job is right for you. Here’s what you will have already that will help you to handle these challenges:
- Master’s / PhD graduate, ideally from UBCO
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Enthusiastic and high-energy self-starter
- Team player
- Ability to think creatively and try new things
- Desire to pursue a career outside of research and academia
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high performance culture
Special consideration will be given to applicants with an active social network with proven ability to promote participation and sponsorship in programs or initiatives in their community.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW!
If you would like to learn more about Mitacs, we invite you to visit our careers page here.
* Please note that this position is available only at UBCO *