Great Bear Initiative Society is in the process of establishing Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd. A unique opportunity exists for an experienced business, sales and marketing individual to create the business entity, identify sales opportunities and secure sales of premium quality essential oils, and provide business development expertise, direction and leadership to a regional First Nations’ owned essential oil venture. If you pride yourself in being a results-oriented individual and are looking to contribute your business development knowledge, sales and marketing skills, and to make a difference in an early stage organization, this may be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
About Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd.
Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd is made up of two First Nation entities. Namely, Metlakatla Stewardship Society (MSS) and Nuxalk Development Corporation (NDC). Both groups have been producing conifer essential oils in the Great Bear Rainforest region of coastal British Columbia, in partnership. Recently, MSS set up its essential oil production facility in Prince Rupert, and, NDC in the Bella Coola valley, made conifer oils on a consistent basis from October 2015 to July 2016. Both operations have been idled until a Business Project Manager is recruited and a solid business and marketing plan is put in place.
Our essential oils are a product of the Great Bear Rainforest and the involved First Nations require a business project manager to lead this endeavour into the next stage of development. Our goal is to build a conservation-based economy that is respectful of traditional cultures, lands and waters and creates meaningful, sustainable employment in First Nations communities. Our immediate need is a driven individual with strong business development, sales and marketing skills to develop a viable business structure and secure product sales.
This position requires a commitment of approximately 80 hours per month with the opportunity to increase hours depending on marketing and sales demand and results. The work can be done, in part, remotely with the need to be onsite as needed to participate in meetings, develop relationships and undertake occasional fieldwork. Flexibility with hours and travel to the Great Bear Rainforest operations is required.
This position reports to Patrick Kelly, GBI Board Chair/CEO until such time as the GBREO Board is in place.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Complete the creation of the Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil GP/LP business entity.
- Liaise with the First Nations essential oil producers on executing the terms of the business structuring and registration documents.
- Develop the framework for a management and administration system that would guide the day-to-day operations of the organization including product acquisition, management of sales contracts, product inventory, records and accounting, business goals, policies, procedures and business standards.
- Identify applicable government regulations pertaining to all aspects of the production and sales of essential oils and essential oil products.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with policies, procedures and standards (to be developed) and as directed by the Board of Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd
Strategic and Operational Planning
- Work with the First Nations business partners to develop and implement the corporate vision, and the business goals and objectives (i.e., develop a Strategic Plan)
- Prepare and present for Board approval annual operating and long-range financial forecasts
- Implement annual operating plans and monitor their impact on long term strategic goals
- Identify emerging issues that impact the future direction of the business and recommend strategies and actions to address them Operations Management
- Develop, in consultation with the Board and the First Nations Business Partners, a specific operations plan to guide the implementation of production, warehousing, distribution, marketing and sales of Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil products on a wholesale and/or retail basis
- Supervise the implementation of the operations plan including appropriate staffing where required
- Identify market opportunities for Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oils (e.g., market study, marketing plan)
- Identify programs (e.g., First Nations, government and the private sector) to build business opportunities and reputation
- Acquire financial contributions (grants or other) that may be available through various programs to maximize financial leveraging for Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd
- Support the provision of employment and capacity building opportunities to Member Nations.
- Liaise with the training / capacity building coordinators of member Nations to ensure capacity building programs and initiatives are coordinated and to secure additional funding and training opportunities.
Communications, Marketing and Reputation Management
- Identify and document practices and standards related to the production of premium quality Great Bear Rainforest essential oils to inform the development of promotional and marketing materials
- Evaluate new business opportunities and/or expansion of Essential Oil business with specific emphasis on risk assessment and corporate value to both generate income and employ community members through a timely due diligence process.
- Develop marketing and public communications for Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd
- Support the board in their development of working relationships with member nations
- Advocate / promote Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd
- Ensure that the reputation of Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd is maintained
Financial Reporting and Record Management
- Responsible for the management and the financial well- being of Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd
- Manage / oversee all legal and regulatory matters as they apply to Great Bear Rainforest Essential Oil Ltd
- Ensure adequate financial and operational risk management processes are in place and kept up to date
- Ensure effective administration and management of contracts and expenses
- Working with the finance staff, prepare for approval the annual consolidated operating and capital budgets for operations
Board and Board Committees
- Attend Board and committee meetings and assist the Board and its committees with their work
- Provide leadership and support to the Board through regular meetings and written reports
- Ensure that the Board is kept up to date, as appropriate, about ongoing business progress, issues and initiatives
- Work with Board to develop and implement a governance structure suited to the Great Bear Essential Oils Ltd.
The ideal candidate will preferably have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Commerce, or Economic development, or the equivalent, along with 3-5 years of proven experience.
- Understanding of Coastal First Nations culture, traditions, protocols and structures
- Understanding of essential oils production, wholesale environment, product development, and sales and marketing
- Understanding of essential oil markets and distribution channels
- Strong business and financial background
- Demonstrated experience and ability to build and maintain cooperative and productive relationships
- Strategic thinking with the ability to assess opportunities and risks
- Strong negotiation and problem resolution skills
- Strong inter-personal, written and oral communications skills
We offer competitive compensation and are flexible in the structuring of the employment arrangements for this unique opportunity. Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to forward their cover letter and resume in confidence by Wednesday, June 28th 2017 to Linda Heep HR Consulting Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.