Administrative Assistant to Director, Store Operations
Regular, Full-Time – Vancouver
STEP into a career with one of BC’s Top Employers since 2009.
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of the largest distributors and retailers of beverage alcohol in Canada, generating a net income of approximately $1.08 billion on annual sales of approximately $3.3 billion in fiscal 2016/17. LDB has a workforce of approximately 4,000 full and part-time employees, operates 197 retail stores across the province, oversees the operations of approximately 220 Rural Agency Stores and has the role of wholesaler to approximately 700 private liquor retail outlets and 10,000 licensed establishments.
The LDB is a unique government entity that operates with similar independence to a Crown Corporation under the direction of a General Manager and CEO.
Reporting to the Director, Store Operations, this position is the initial contact to the public, staff at all levels and others with whom the Director or senior staff may have contact with. The position provides coordination and direct support for the department’s staff administration, and all other administrative support activities throughout the department. This position is the key focal point of departmental activity, therefore must maintain an efficient flow of information between the Executive Director’s Office, Directors, Department Managers and staff.
The LDB’s leadership team strives for excellence as it strives to drive profitable growth and achieve business objectives. The organization’s operating environment is characterized by considerable challenges, including competitive factors, changes to the regulatory regime and new technologies that impact business operations. Positions throughout the organization play a role in addressing these challenges, and contributing to the achievement of corporate objectives. The work environment is fast paced, and attention to detail is of critical importance.
The Administrative Assistant is relied upon, as a key member of the Director’s support team, to apply comprehensive skills in administrative and financial management and to apply problem solving and judgement skills to complete assignments in a timely manner taking into consideration competing workloads and changing priorities.
An eligibility list for permanent or temporary future opportunities may be established. A criminal record check is required.
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications, and competencies. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Please note that a cover letter is a requirement for this competition.
For more information about how to create or update your profile, please refer to the How to Apply section below.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Jonathan Castaneto by phone at 1-604-252-3108. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
Contact: Jonathan Castaneto, Director, Store Operations
Visit Careers at: www.bcldb.com
Education and Experience:
• A minimum of 2 years of recent administrative/clerical* experience in a large high-volume office environment along with recent experience at an executive assistant/senior administrative assistant level with an emphasis on coordinating services, composing and preparing correspondence and managing the daily business of senior executive(s).
o *Experience keyboarding, word processing, preparing spread-sheets and databases, and other standard computer applications (i.e. MS Outlook and MS Office).
o *Experience providing financial services: reconciling transactions; reviewing financial reports; preparing accruals, etc.
• Related post secondary education, preferred.
Preference may be given to candidates that have experience working in a multi-unit retail environment. A combination of training, education and experience may be considered.
• Knowledge of standard office/administrative procedures including financial and records management.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and attention to detail is required.
• Ability to use standard computer applications including various Microsoft programs (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), internet and data management systems to enter and edit data, and generate a variety of correspondence and reports.
• Ability to accurately monitor and track information.
• Ability to work both independently, under limited supervision, and in a team environment.
• Ability to identify and assess problems and situations, and to reference, interpret and apply a variety of policies, rules and guidelines to determine an appropriate course of action.
• Ability to work under pressure using initiative to plan, organize and establish priorities to complete assignments in a timely manner taking into consideration competing workloads and changing priorities.
• Ability to perform financial transactions: accruals, reconciliations, etc.