Position: Collections Assistant Closing: 8:00 a.m., Monday March 5, 2018
Term: One Year Contract/35 hours per week
Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services (OAHS) provides safe and affordable housing for urban and rural First Nation, Métis, and Inuit people in Ontario. Our Vision is “to lead the design, development and delivery of sustainable and culturally appropriate housing that promotes excellence in the Aboriginal community and organizational infrastructures”.
Services, provided throughout the province, from our head office located in Sault Ste. Marie and satellite offices in other communities, include:
- Approximately 1900 subsidized housing units; and
- Provision of an assisted homeownership program providing down payment and home purchase assistance and an assisted homeowner repair program.
We are currently seeking a Collections Assistant for our office located in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario at 499 Queen Street.
Reporting to the Collections Manager and working with our Property Management staff across Ontario, the successful applicant will be assisting with all day-to-day collections activities.
Duties and responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Supporting the OAHS mission and vision and making significant contributions to the achievement of the corporate strategic plan;
- Assisting with the completion of annual income reviews;
- Assisting with counselling tenants in arears and collection of rental arrears;
- Utilizing Microsoft Office based products to produce correspondence, spreadsheets, emails and letters and presentations;
- Preparing and forwarding tenant refund request to Accounts Payable;
- Ensuring monthly and daily bank deposits are entered into the Business Management System;
- Assisting with completion of Landlord and Tenant Board forms as required
- Completing bank deposits as required;
- Assist with delinquent account process including data entry, tracking, form preparation and obtaining credit bureau information;
- Other duties as required.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- College Diploma or University Degree in Business, Office Administration or related field;
- 1-2 years collections or office administrative experience;
- A combination of education and experience will be considered;
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, with a focus on quality and accuracy;
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to use sound judgment;
- Excellent customer service skills and superior telephone manners;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate both written and orally using multiple channels with a variety of stakeholders both internal and external to the organization;
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills and ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships;
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Knowledge of and an appreciation for Indigenous culture and demonstrated values that focus on assisting people.
Conditions of employment:
- Ability to travel as required (limited requirement);
- Ability to work varying hours/days, if required;
- Valid CPIC clearance (Criminal Records check) (required);
- Current References;
- Current, valid Ontario Driver’s License and safe driving record (preferred).
Your application letter and current resume must be received no later than 8:00 am Monday March 5, 2018.
Please apply using one of the following two options:
Human Resources and Payroll Associate
Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services
500 Bay Street, 2nd Floor, Sault Ste. Marie ON P6A 1X5
In meeting the objectives and vision of the organization, preference will be given to qualified individuals of First Nation, Metis, or Inuit ancestry, who self-identify.
This competition is open to internal and external candidates and the continuation of this position is subject to funding renewal.
We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.