Consultant Job Description
Located in Ottawa, Stratos Inc. is one of Canada’s leading environmental and sustainability consultancies. We are proud of the strong and credible reputation we have built in both corporate and government circles, and are known for providing objective and realistic services and advice, and producing high-quality products. We are trusted advisors, strategists, integrators and facilitators. Stratos specializes in collaborative problem-solving with a focus on environmental and natural resource management and sustainability. We support all levels of government, business and civil society. Stratos contributes in many jurisdictions across Canada and has deep expertise providing services to Canada’s natural resource sectors, including mining, energy and forestry. For more information on Stratos, visit: www.stratos–sts.com.
We have a culture of innovation, loyalty, collaboration, and positivity. We work hard, play hard and are self-reflective to ensure we are always growing and improving.
We currently have an opening for a Consultant to join our dynamic team. Stratos provides a competitive compensation and benefits package and the necessary tools needed to do the work successfully. We are committed to each individual’s development and growth in building a meaningful career.
Education and Experience
Masters level degree required in a discipline related to natural resource management or sustainability; some relevant work experience (e.g. 3-5 years of related experience) will be seen as a strong asset. Previous consulting experience is very desirable.
Consultants at Stratos are responsible for contributing to the successful completion of consulting engagements, supporting the marketing and business management efforts of the firm, and contributing to a variety of initiatives to support the internal growth and development of our team, our systems and our culture. Consultants will be involved across a variety of sectors and service areas. This versatility and cross-fertilization is an important factor underlying Stratos’ success, and is particularly important to afford consultants with the opportunity to learn about the different business lines and services that Stratos offers and identify areas where they would like to further specialize or gain experience.
Specific responsibilities of this position include:
- Contributing to the successful completion of specific consulting engagements by:
- Writing background materials and contributing to the preparation of reports, manuals and procedures
- Conducting web-based research, literature reviews and database searches
- Compiling, synthesizing and analyzing information
- Conducting consultation and information collection activities, including interviews and surveys
- Creating figures, charts and tables for inclusion in reports and presentations
- Report proof-reading, formatting and preparation
- Preparing presentations
- Assisting with the planning of meetings and multi-interest workshops and engagements
- Acting as a rapporteur and preparing minutes and reports from workshops and meetings
- Over time, identifying and developing a specific area(s) of expertise
- Supporting Project Managers in a variety of project management tasks such as preparing project updates, running budget updates and work planning towards key milestones
- Supporting business development and marketing activities, including:
- Conducting research on client needs
- Preparing marketing presentations
- Participating in proposal preparation
- Initiating your own network of professional contacts
- Contributing to the successful operation of the firm by:
- Adhering to Stratos policies and procedures
- Learning about the consulting business, and applying these learnings
- Participating in Stratos committees and corporate functions (e.g. Sustainability committee; RFP search)
- Supporting internal initiatives that contribute to the growth and diversity of Stratos as a firm and as a team (e.g. searching of RFPs, updating a ‘Digest’ through synthesizing current events)
- Coordinating internal teams (e.g. setting agendas, scheduling meetings, identifying pinch points for the teams and looking for solutions, etc.)
Skills and Attributes
Specific skills and attributes required to successfully fulfil these responsibilities include:
- Team-oriented, collaborative, dependable, flexible, positive, humbly confident, self-motivated, self-aware, warm and friendly
Excellent research skills
- Ability to collect and synthesize large amounts of information and discern what is important
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills, as evidenced by clear and respectful communications with colleagues and clients
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly for different audiences
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple client/stakeholder deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to follow instructions and proactively approach Project Managers with questions and/or to seek clarification
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking capability
- Proven record of effective time management and ability to meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of French would be an asset.
Your Personal Impact
Stratos offers a truly impactful work experience that empowers our team members with countless opportunities to grow, lead and contribute in areas that matter to them.
At Stratos, your impact may be felt personally – such as increased satisfaction from seeing a project through from start to finish, or from working as part of a smart, dynamic team with a strong work-life balance.
Your work would also impact Stratos’ success. We are dedicated to growing the firm and there is never a shortage of “hats” you could wear to help make that happen. You might be involved in shaping our business strategy, developing an approach to test a new Canadian market, or developing learning sessions for our company retreat. These are just some of many ways you could help cultivate and impact Stratos’ long-term success.
Lastly (and most significantly), you will impact the ability of Stratos’ clients to deliver on their mandates. Our clients focus on natural resource management and sustainability issues, for the benefit of future generations. Your work at Stratos will help them shape and better fulfil their important visions.
We strive for excellence and professionalism in every aspect of our work and supporting you at every level of impact you seek to make.
Please check out our Team page on the Stratos website to learn more about Stratos employees’ perspectives of the contributions they are able to make each day (www.stratos–sts.com).
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this role; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.