Coordinator, Volunteers – Toronto 2017 North American Indigenous Games (2017 NAIG) Host Society
2017 NAIG Host Society Mission: To host an Indigenous world-class multi-sport and cultural event celebrating Toronto and Ontario’s diversity. Showcasing Unity, Sport, Youth and Heritage, as well as Volunteerism and Team Work between First Nations, Inuit, Métis and Non-Indigenous communities in the pursuit of Excellence for our Future Youth Leaders.
2017 NAIG Host Society Vision: Provide Indigenous youth with the opportunity to participate in high quality programming while allowing them to shine and inspire Indigenous Peoples of all ages and abilities to participate in sport and physical activity, and maintain a wholesome approach to health and wellness through all stages of life.
Organizational, Indigenous and Sport Values:
Accountable, Athlete-Centered, Cleanliness, Faith, Fun, Good Child Rearing, Happiness, Hope, Humility, Inclusivity, Integrity, Kinship, Leadership, Obedience, Pride, Respect, Sharing, Sportsmanship / Fair Play, Strength, Sustainable, Thankfulness, Transparent, Ultimate Protection.
The Coordinator, Volunteers will assist in delivering a volunteer management program for approximately 2,000 volunteers required to host 2017 NAIG. Assisting the Manager, Volunteers, the successful candidate will provide logistics, event execution, and volunteer scheduling and management, including the coordination of all volunteer committee operations.
- Assist with developing a volunteer recruitment strategy.
- Scheduling of volunteers for the 2017 NAIG.
- Plan and execute special volunteer engagement events.
- Assist in the management of the volunteer screening process.
- Work in consultation with the various Host Society Committees (Athletes Village, Community, Culture, Protocol, Security, Sport, Transportation, etc.) and functional areas to ensure that all volunteer requirements are met.
- Manage the online volunteer registration and scheduling system.
- Develop and deliver volunteer training presentations and resources, where required.
- General administrative duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate Possesses:
- A post-secondary degree/diploma with experience in hospitality management, sport and/or event management.
- Experience within volunteer management or working with volunteers.
- Knowledge and experience in large-scale sporting events.
- Proficiency in both official languages (English and French) and/or an Indigenous language is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and the confidence to manage the online volunteer registration and scheduling system.
- Comfort with public speaking.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace.
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced, community environment with excellent time management skills.
- A service-oriented, positive, resourceful personality, with a sense of humour.
- A highly professional image always.
- Background and knowledge of Indigenous cultures will be given preference.
Working Environment and Compensation:
- Coordinator, Volunteers is an eight-month, full-time contract position beginning immediately and ending July 31, 2017.
- Flexibility in hours, as some evenings and weekends are required in addition to extended hours during Games time.
- A valid ‘G’ drivers license required.
- Criminal record check must be provided (vulnerable sector).
- Office is located in Mississauga, Ontario with some local travel required to events and meetings.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience based on an annual salary of $40,000 – 45,000.
- Additional benefits include:
- Monthly cellular phone expense reimbursement.
- Games merchandise and ticketing package.
Qualified applicants are invited to email their applications to Admin@naig2017.to by December 5, 2016.
The 2017 Toronto NAIG Host Society is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest and invite applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities and Visible Minorities, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.