Employment and Assistance Worker (Growth)
Community Program Officer R15
Temporary (auxiliary) opportunities are available in our Kamloops, Port Alberni, Prince George and Victoria offices. These temporary opportunities may become permanent. An eligibility list may be established for future full-time and part-time temporary vacancies.
Are you looking for a rewarding, career-building role?
EAWs play an important role in the lives of British Columbians seeking income and disability assistance. EAWs determine eligibility for assistance, and deliver impactful decisions to citizens, sometimes in sensitive or crisis situations. EAWs are active listeners, possess strong interview and conflict management skills, and remain calm, compassionate and clear in the face of difficult conversations and service pressures. Resilience is an asset in this busy, challenging role.
One Province, One Team; Reliable Service, wherever our clients live
EAWs may serve clients in person, over the phone, or by other virtual means. The Service Delivery Division team is a large, yet close-knit team represented by staff throughout the entire Province. You will build close relationships with coworkers located physically in your office, and virtually using online meeting tools and other technology. The EAW role is challenging, so being a supportive team player and maintaining a positive team culture is critical.
For information about the role of an Employment and Assistance Worker and the hiring process please visit the EAW Careers Page and note the EAW Compensation Package information for these positions. Please see the attached Job Profile for specific accountabilities and qualifications. The attached addendum also outlines the various program areas our EAWs may work within, and some of the primary duties of each of those work-streams.
The Ministry of Social Development & Poverty Reduction is committed to providing an inclusive work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the process, please advise us at the contact information below. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
With over 200 different occupations available in 280 communities across the province, we offer exciting opportunities for your career. Come be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact SDSI.OPSSupport.Hiring@gov.bc.ca . DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Secondary School graduation or equivalent.
- Experience delivering a high standard of customer service in a high volume, fast paced, rapidly changing environment (in-person, via virtual technologies or over the telephone).
- Experience working with various computer applications including MS Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience providing services to clients from diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to, clients from various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, clients with mental health issues and/or physical disabilities or other challenges, clients with substance use issues and individuals who may be in crisis, displaying frustration, anger or acting out in an abusive manner.
Preference may be given to applicants who have the following:
- 1 or more years of experience delivering a high standard of customer service in a high volume, fast paced, rapidly changing environment (in-person, via virtual technologies or over the telephone).
- Experience working with a case management system and/or maintaining electronic records.
- Experience working in a highly structured, scheduled and performance monitored environment such as a contact centre.
- Experience determining eligibility for programs and services
- Experience in a social services work environment
- Recent client service experience.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) and Criminal Record Review Act Check (CRRA) will be required.
Cover Letter: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.