Reporting to the Manager, Digital Platforms, and working in collaboration with the Exhibitions, Research, and Design Division, the Digital Platforms Content Designer is responsible for planning and implementing the development of digital engagement strategies and activities, supporting both in-gallery and remote audience end points. The Digital Platforms Content Designer is responsible for developing and implementing highly engaging and accessible digital storytelling experiences across multiple platforms and technologies. The position is also responsible for ensuring established presentation standards and semantic structures are adhered to, as well as emerging approaches and best practices, offering expertise on related technologies and transmedia content consumption and use. A high level of excellence and attention to detail must be maintained in order to support the delivery of programs and to attain the strategic objectives of the organization. This position works within the emerging and rapidly changing media and technology fields and is required to continuously stay abreast of industry trends.
- Performs content maintenance of digital platform products (coordinating, rewriting, editing for SEO, user experience, and accessibility purposes) for both in-gallery, remote audience, and cross-purpose platforms.
- Coordinates and produces digital media content (image, video, audio, text, etc.) for use across the Museum’s digital platforms.
- Designs, develops and implements inclusive digital content experiences for in-gallery and remote audiences using innovative digital storytelling techniques.
- Integrates digital engagement strategies with inter-divisional programming activities and social media publication activities.
- Monitors trends, behavior, and usability as related to Canadian Museum for Human Rights digital platform projects, products, and devices for the creation and evolution of cross-media publication standards and policies.
- Aggregates analytics of digital platforms, web, social media, and digital exhibits metrics; compiles, sources, and interprets information to make recommendations based on statistical and analytical data.
- Prepares analytics reports, dashboards, and data visualization to be presented to the Manager, Digital Platforms, the division, and other stakeholders.
- Participates in multidisciplinary projects teams as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for digital platforms, digital content publication, cross- and transmedia storytelling including social media.
- Participates in the scenario design and development of user, accessibility, and acceptance testing for museum applications.
- Reviews and advises on interface texts, system messages, alt text, description, and meta tags, and other general interface and usability focused text and nomenclature.
- Trains frontline staff on digital engagement activities supporting exhibitions.
- Provides information and guidance to staff on the use of digital platforms.
- Researches and develops new concepts using innovative technologies and techniques for use on future exhibit projects. Then teach, demo, and share these concepts to/with team members and project stakeholders.
- Maintains technical knowledge and skills through structured and self-guided training and exploration.
- Communicates ideas with internal and external peers, partners, and stakeholders; and meet project timelines.
- Communicates effectively orally and in writing and establish cooperative working relationships with staff, external clients and contractors.
- Rapidly learns and supports new social media platforms, applications, technologies, and publishing methods.
- Responds to Museum and divisional priorities and work within the context of approved projects/plans while maintaining institutional values and being aware of time/budget implications of any changes or developments to approved projects.
- Participates in other tasks and duties of the Exhibitions, Research, and Design Division as required.
Skills and Qualifications – Required
- A post-secondary education related to the Web and/or Communications fields, or an equivalent combination of education and 2-5 years of experience
- Ability to communicate with proficiency in both official languages, oral and written
- An excellent understanding of web technologies and social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, Google Analytics, and other means of electronic publishing
- Ability to produce concise and comprehensive reports based on information from multiple sources
- Familiarity with search engine optimization, usability and accessibility theory and practices
- Experience with analytics in the web and cross-media domain(s)
- Some experience writing for the web and/or other electronic media
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high development environment.
- Expert knowledge of and experience with evolving multimedia technologies (audio, video, animation, photography, digitization, webcasting, mobile apps, blogs, wikis, tactile presentation, etc.)
Skills and Qualifications – Desired
- Experience working for or providing similar service to a museum, cultural institution, or similar entity
- Ability to manage confidential and sensitive information
- Knowledge of and experience with numerous productivity software suites and applications such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Creativity Cloud, etc.
- Knowledge of design process and terminology.
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Strong discretion, tact, initiative and judgment
- Excellent project management and problem-solving skills
- Excellent project leadership and presentation skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Strict attention to detail yet always in consideration of the high-level goals
Official Language Proficiency:
- CBC – Written comprehension (advanced), written expression (advanced), oral proficiency (advanced)
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Work is in an office environment.
- May require long periods at a desk, reading of lengthy documents, and working at a computer.
Conditions of Employment
- Security Screening Level – Reliability Status