ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation’s culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Director of Finance to join our team in North Vancouver on a permanent full-time basis. Reporting to executive management, this professionally-accredited Director of Finance will provide finance related leadership and oversight of the financial workflow associated with the Squamish Nation government.
You will be reporting to executive management, the professionally-accredited Director of Finance will provide finance related leadership and oversight of financial information and workflow associated with the Squamish Nation government. He/She is responsible for all finance divisions/work units – general finance, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and insurance/asset inventory. He/she is responsible for the development, communication and adherence of financial policies, financial reporting, cash flow management, audits, financial risk management/exposure, budget planning/ management and financial regulatory compliance. He/she uses honed analytical skills/reasoning and sound judgment in decision making, enhancing the effectiveness and efficiency of Squamish Nation’s financial operations. The incumbent operates at a high level of human interaction, responding with courtesy, tact and diplomacy.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Works with Council and senior leadership to establish organizational financial objectives, budgets and work plans.
- Develops, communicates, adheres to and enforces articulated financial policies, standards and processes.
- Oversees the effective operation of all Finance divisions including general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and insurance/asset inventory.
- Drives the budgeting and forecasting function for Nation, oversees the annual budget of the Finance Department.
- Ensures the cash position of the Nation is managed and maintained appropriately.
- Oversees the financial reporting function including the completion of annual external audits.
- Participates in committees and/or assists departments with financial, strategic and operational considerations associated with a wide range of programs, projects or proposals.
- Provides and oversees the provision of quality service to managers, employees and membership.
- Represents Squamish Nation on financial matters and other issues as directed.
- Oversees management of department and staff.
- Supervises the health and safety of employees, adhering to workplace Health & Safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participate as a member of Squamish Nation Director Team.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
To be successful in this role, you will have a current and in good-standing CPA designation. Additional required education includes a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics or a relevant/related degree from a recognized post-secondary institution.
Our successful applicant will bring a minimum of 15 years relevant/related experience in the majority of senior-level duties listed in the job description, including as a CFO/Comptroller in a public sector, government, or First Nation financial environment or a similar position with senior financial leadership responsibilities.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Must have demonstrated success with developing and managing multi-million dollar operational/capital budgets.
- Experience reporting to a Board or Council is an asset/preferred.
- Must have least 5 years senior management experience, supervising managers and finance staff.
- Experience as an advanced level user of MS Office, the Internet, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system.
- Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Must have reliable vehicle, current auto insurance, valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider a combination of relevant/related education and work experience for above education and experience.
As your career with Squamish Nation progresses, you will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to budgeting, forecasting, managing cash flows, staff management, First Nations’ taxation, federal/provincial government and other funders, etc.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
If you are looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!
PLEASE NOTE THAT CANDIDATES MUST APPLY ONLINE BY OCTOBER 18, 2018, AT 11:30 PM (PST).