Do you want to work in your community fostering the holistic growth of Aboriginal preschool children? Do you have lived experience as an Indigenous person? Makonsag, a licensed child care centre, is expanding services for Indigenous children and families in Ottawa. We are looking for 2 Registered Early Childhood Educators to join our growing team!
Makonsag provides culturally relevant programming based on Aboriginal Head Start guiding principles. Our programming is designed to provide a preschool readiness experience in a licensed setting and offers cultural context embedded at all levels of programming for Indigenous children, their families and community.
Hours: 35 hours/week Full-time Permanent
Salary: $22.50 to $27.07 per hour
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Closing date: September 30, 2018
Benefits of working at Makonsag
- Work directly in your community with Indigenous children
- Continuous opportunities for professional growth
- Celebrate cultural teachings and incorporate in program curriculum
- Exciting professional development opportunities in Ottawa, Ontario and throughout Canada!
- Cultural connections with other Indigenous ECEs and Early Learning community
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Opportunities to participate in other projects, community outreach and educational environments
In this role you will:
- Demonstrate knowledge on early learning theories and strategies that support development and positive interactions with children and families
- Develop program planning that reflects ‘How Does Learning Happen?’ pedagogy
- Provide supervision of the children and implement program plans on a daily basis
- Plan, develop, and implement an inclusive, stimulating and developmentally appropriate early learning program in a culturally sensitive environment
- Provide a welcoming and nurturing environment in the classroom by engaging in supportive and respectful interactions with children
- Attend to the physical needs of children; instruct and assist in developing self-help skills such as washing, dressing, toileting and eating; attend to diapering needs
- Maintain a healthy and safe environment as per Makonsag policies and procedures, and Ministry requirements
- Attend meetings and/or professional development sessions as required
- Promote an atmosphere of caring, sharing, honesty and respect.
- Other duties as required
To qualify for this role you have:
- Degree or diploma in Early Childhood Education
- Registered and in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators
- Standard First Aid, including infant and child CPR
- Police record check (vulnerable sector) completed in the last 6 months
- 2+ years demonstrated experience working in child care environment
- Knowledge of Aboriginal culture and traditions
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the needs of Aboriginal children and families
- Experience and working knowledge of ‘How Does Learning Happen?’ pedagogy and the Child Care and Early Years Act
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment and communicate openly with team members, management and families
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, Aboriginal language is an asset
Indigenous candidates are encouraged to self-identify. We thank all who apply for this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Should the applicant require any accommodations during the application process please notify Human Resources at email@example.com.