Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training is seeking an Employment Counsellor in the Employment Resource Centre. First Nation, Métis and Inuit applicants are encouraged to apply and asked to please self-identify on their cover letter.
In this role, you will provide assistance, counselling and information regarding all aspects of employment search, career planning, training and education to multiple barrier clients in the Aboriginal community.
• Assist unemployed or underemployed, Aboriginal clients from a variety of backgrounds to obtain employment and /or skills based training.
• Responsible to conduct Intake Interviews and Assessments for all new registered clients.
• File Management – written documentation and statistics for each file are consistently up to date.
• Work with job seekers to identify barriers to employment and assist clients to develop job readiness skills and job search strategies through referrals to other Miziwe Biik programs and activities.
• Advise clients of employment and training opportunities and institutions that are available to them within the GTA as part of an employment service plan.
• Make referrals to specific employment and training opportunities.
• Responsible for ongoing follow-up with clients who are actively job searching or participating in training programs.
• Responsible for monthly statistical and activity reports for all active clients and close client files.
• Assist clients who have scheduled interviews and conduct mock interviews on request.
• Conduct written assessments and advocate on behalf of clients requesting financial support for purchase of training.
• Liaise with LDMs (band offices) nationally in regards to funding requests, client follow-ups etc.
• Network with Aboriginal agencies in the GTA for the purpose of providing referrals to appropriate community services for individual support.
• To be current on relevant community services to assist clients with a range of needs including mental health; physical and mental disabilities; involvement with the criminal justice system; street and shelter involvement.
• Responsible for inputting interventions, action plans, updating and closing client case management files in the EOIS CAMS case management system.
• Attend and act as a representative of Miziwe Biik at community meetings and events upon request.
• Participate in organization’s planning and activities as required upon request.
• Additional duties as required.
• Minimum level of education preferred is a Community College Diploma related to Career Counselling or Human Resources.
• Ability to identify employment and training needs within the Aboriginal community in the GTA.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Previous case management experience including maintaining case management software.
• Impeccable and Detail Oriented with regards to hard file maintenance.
• Demonstrated knowledge and familiarity of the Aboriginal community and the services available in the Greater Toronto Area.
• Must be comfortable working one-on-one with clients from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds, including incarceration or other judicial issues.
• Ability to prepare resumes and cover letters and to coach/prepare clients for the job interview process in all employment sectors.
• Excellent computer and keyboarding skills, and intermediate knowledge of Microsoft software applications including word processing and database.
• Results driven person with the ability to work within and contribute to a team environment.
• Ability to develop work plans and prioritize work activities while focusing on results.
• Ability to respect client confidentiality.
• Previous experience facilitating training workshops or a willingness to learn.
*Detail Oriented *Flexible
*Team Player *Adaptable
First Nation, Métis and Inuit applicants are encouraged to apply and asked to please self-identify on their cover letter. Please submit your cover letter and resume via email in MS Word format to: Human Resources: email@example.com
** Closing Date: Friday January 19, 2018 at 12:00 noon**
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please
If you are invited for an interview and require access accommodation, please let us know in advance so that we can make adequate arrangements.