To provide engineering support for project management, contract administration, technical evaluation and engineering functions of various divisions in connection with the management of municipal functions.
Reports To: Various Managers, Project Managers or Senior Engineers
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Conducts research into assigned area ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Ensures that the project expenditures are tracked, controlled, reported and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Assists and works under the direction of Senior Engineers and/or managers in planning, investigating and documenting engineering/operational challenges of basic to moderate complexity.
- Assists in the project management of the Division’s projects to ensure proper and timely completion.
- Assists with construction contract administration, certification of progress payments, preparation of tenders, contract awards and various contractual documentation logs.
- Arrange and attend project meetings and develops minutes of meetings.
- Assists with developing purchase requisitions for the issuing of Purchase Orders.
- Assists with developing procurement documents including RFPs, RFQs, and REOIs.
- Assists with developing staff reports.
- Assists in conducting field work, site inspections (construction projects), technical investigations and studies, preparing reports and making related recommendations.
- Assists in project tracking and status reporting for the Division’s capital program.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets and in the cost/benefit analysis of divisional operations.
- Assists in the review of draft contract specifications and drawings for completeness and accuracy.
- Completes work assignments, seeks supervisory review of completed work and makes revisions as requested.
- Liaises with other internal staff Strategic Construction Projects, and other City of Toronto divisions, consultants, stakeholders and the public.
- Assists in responding to customer inquiries and providing operational assistance.
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of technological developments in the field of engineering as it relates to municipal business focus.
- Assists in the resolution of non-compliance issues according to the Occupational Health & Safety Act (designated substances: asbestos abatement mgmt., etc.).
- Other project administration and support duties as required.
- Assists in the gathering and organizing of project data and information in anticipation of litigation and project audit requirements.
- Post-secondary education in Civil Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be eligible to be licensed by the Professional Engineers of Ontario or registered with the PEO as an Engineer in Training (EIT).
- Experience coordinating construction projects, utilizing sound project management and contract administration methodologies.
- Experience reading and interpreting digital or hard copy engineering drawings and documents (e.g. as-built plans, engineering surveys and contract specifications).
- Advanced understanding in the principles and application of general engineering design, methods of construction and practices/procedures related to facilities construction and engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to provide work direction to Consultants, Contractors, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to take direction and plan, prioritize, organize and work with minimal supervision.
- Advanced knowledge of contract administration procedures and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and operate as a fully accountable member of a multidisciplinary work team.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills and ability to communicate both orally and in writing and develop solid internal and external work relationships.
- Considerable experience with computer application software such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint etc.), opening, viewing, interpreting and printing CADD (e.g. AutoCAD, MicroStation) and schedule (e.g.MS Project, Primavera) software.
- Highly developed problem solving, organization, conflict resolution and research and analytical skills.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.