EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE VICE-PRESIDENT
Community Based Services
Classification: Administrative Officer 1
Full-Time Regular Position
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Aboriginal learners and mature students.
The Position: The Executive Assistant will provide the overall administrative and financial services for the office of the Vice-President, Community Based Services which will involve a wide range of duties including administrative, financial, research, secretarial and clerical. The successful candidate will manage and coordinate appointments and meetings for the Vice-President’s office (including minute taking/distribution), arrange travel, receive and respond to inquiries, including researching related information and maintaining planning calendars. Confidentiality is absolute including stringent office protocols and management of confidential meetings. The incumbent must work with all Divisions within the University College and with external agencies including other post-secondary institutions and Aboriginal and Northern communities and organizations.
- A minimum of two year Office Administrative Assistant or Business Administration Diploma, or equivalent or appropriate combinations of related experience and education may be considered
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) Excellent computer skills (MS Office Suite)
- Demonstrated initiative ability to work independently, as well as within a team environment Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to interpret situations and exercise judgment in stressful situations Must be able to utilize, maintain and develop databases
- Effective organization and time management skills
- Experience working with budgets, researching issues and drafting correspondence Records management and minute taking
- Demonstrated ability to understand and to deal with issues specific to Aboriginal learners and mature students in northern communities
- Personal experience and/or knowledge and understanding of the Aboriginal culture
- The ability to speak an Aboriginal language
- Knowledge of post-secondary institutions and structures
- A minimum of 2 years of related experience in a fast paced, dynamic and demanding professional office environment
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Applicants must provide a cover letter, résumé and references with their application.
- Applicants must demonstrate on their résumé how they meet the qualifications.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Aboriginal candidates. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 17-043
Closing Date: July 21, 2017
Salary Range: $27.41 to $32.31 hourly, plus remoteness allowance
Apply to: University College of the North, Attention: Human Resources
P.O. Box 3000
The Pas MB R9A 1M7
Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba).
For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.