- Nurture your career potential with a growing, world-class, First Nations Organization.
- Make a difference in the lives of the children and families in the beautiful community of Williams Lake in Central Interior British Columbia.
- Competitive remuneration commensurate with experience.
About the Organization
Denisiqi Services Society (DSS) is a non-profit, Delegated, Aboriginal child and family services agency located in the heart of British Columbia. DSS serves the ʔEsdilagh, Xeni Gwet’in, Tsi Deldel, Yunesit’in, Tl’esqox and Ulkatchot’en people by delivering community-based, culturally appropriate child and family programs.
With a mission to sustain, support and enhance family and community life, DSS is mandated to deliver services from a prevention and support orientation to promote and facilitate the holistic renewal and growth of the Tsilhqot’in and Ulkatchot’en Culture and Tradition and create a safe entry point for healing.
About Williams Lake
The City of Williams Lake is nestled in a beautiful valley in the centre of the Cariboo Chilcotin Regional District in the interior of British Columbia. The nearest major cities are Kamloops and Prince George, both of which are located approximately a 3-hour drive away.
The city has a population of 11,150 people who take advantage of the four seasons by partaking in the unlimited outdoor recreation. The area and the city offer many amenities including golfing, fine dining, recreational parks, and is in close proximity to numerous recreational lakes, winter recreation such as x-country and downhill skiing, world-class scenic river and horseback tours, and competitive trails for cyclists.
Other amenities include public and private schools, an excellent hospital, Thompson Rivers University, numerous daycares, an airport, The Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin, two large shopping centres, a brand new community recreation centre and many more.
About the Opportunity
Denisiqi Services Society has an excellent opportunity to lead, promote and enhance the services and programs of the organization.
In this role, you will report to the Denisiqi Board of Directors and will have the authority and responsibility to direct all Agency operations, budgets, staff and programs in accordance with Denisiqi policies and procedures, the Children Family and Community Service Act (CFSCA), Aboriginal Operational and Practice Standards and Indicators (AOPSI) and the incoming Aboriginal Policy and Practice Framework.
More specifically, the Executive Director is responsible for leading the agency and representing the agency with community members, funders and government agencies, primarily Indigenous Services Canada and the Ministry for Children and Family Development (MCFD).
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Leading a management team in the development and delivery of all DSS programs and services
- Advising and managing a working relationship with the Board of Directors
- Negotiating funding, developing budgets and managing resources to ensure program success and expand the scope of the organization
- Establishing Protocol and Service Agreements with MCFD, RCMP, regional schools & hospitals, other First Nations Child and Family services and ancillary agencies including internal departments
- Implementing and evaluating systems to monitor, review and evaluate standards of practice and effectiveness, efficiency and economy of programs
- Upholding Human Resources standards in accordance with the Denisiqi Services Society Administration and Operations Manual
- Reviewing and analyzing practice complaints, concerns and issues presented by clients, external advocates and regional staff to identify remedial solutions to avert future similar occurrences.
- Participating in negotiations with both Federal and Local Government and First Nation leadership
To qualify for this role, you will have a Master-level Social Work or Public Administration degree combined with a minimum of 3 – 5 years experience working in child welfare and a minimum of 7 years of experience in a senior management capacity providing leadership and direction in a multi-disciplinary team. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
A working knowledge of the Child, Family and Community Services Act legislation, practices, standards and policies is a must, as is the awareness and demonstrated competency of working in indigenous areas.
Our ideal candidate will also possess the following:
- Excellent analysis, planning, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent financial planning, management and cost control knowledge and skills
- Excellent presentation, public relations, oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to oversee human resource management in all areas of recruitment and retention
- Excellent knowledge of federal First Nations child and family services policy and funding directives
- Intimate knowledge of providing community-based programs (not limited to): family support, child and youth mental health services, child protection, early childhood development and services to children in care, guardianship, permanency planning for children permanently in care, services to strengthen and preserve families
- Ability to travel and work evenings/weekends
This role is well suited to an organized individual who has previous demonstratable experience working in a cross-cultured work environment where all culture, customs and traditions are respected equally. Conflict resolution skills and a high level of compassion and empathy when dealing with sometimes difficult situations will be considered an asset for this role.
Those with working experience with indigenous communities will be held in high regard.
About the Benefits
You will be rewarded with a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The organization truly values its employees and supports training and professional development in a calm team environment.
The Denisiqi Services Society offers a friendly workplace, with fantastic working conditions and benefits including extended Health and Pension benefits and relocation assistance for the right candidate.
This position is an extremely satisfying and rewarding role giving you the chance to finish each working day knowing you have truly made a difference to your colleagues and the organization.
If you’re looking for a leadership position that is guaranteed to provide you with satisfaction – Apply Now!