Financial Analyst- Faculty of Arts/Faculty of Social Work
Job Type :
Reports To :
Director, Budgets & Planning
Position Summary :
At Laurier, we are a community. It’s what brings our students here and what keeps our people here. As an educational institution, we inspire lives of leadership and purpose in our student community. As an employer, we seek, foster and value the same qualities of leadership and purpose in our employee community. We currently have an opportunity to join the Laurier community as an Financial Analyst- Faculty of Arts / Faculty of Social Work.
The incumbent’s primary responsibility is tobe the lead financial support for the client groups he/she services. The Financial Analyst provides regular reporting, counsel and information, particularly as it relates to financial and budgetary issues. The Financial Analyst makes recommendations on budget planning, financial strategies and deals with confidential financial information. The position reports directly to the Director, Budgets & Planning with accountability to the client group management.
The incumbent acts as the primary point of contact within Financial Resources. The Financial Analyst will ensure compliance with financial management policies and procedures necessary to ensure effective and efficient operations. The incumbent will work closely with the Director, Budgets & Planning to ensure consistency of service between the units and ensure use and development of financial management best practices. The position’s direct report into financial resources will ensure the incumbent will have full access to all university financial systems and quick access/support to subject matter experts within financial resources. The Financial Analyst is the subject matter expert for the clients they support.
This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Waterloo Campus. The incumbent provides subject matter expertise to all campuses, requiring regular interpersonal interactions and collaboration with departments at the Waterloo Campus, the Brantford Campus, the Toronto office and external partners. Special attention is given to ensure equitable service delivery across all locations.
Accountabilities: Budgeting & Planning
Oversees and maintains a financial model that is used for strategic planning purposes for the units, university, government and investment stakeholders;
• Coordinates and sets up fiscal year budgets and distributes details of the approved faculty budgets to the client group;
• Coordinates and prepares multi-year project budgets and forecasts (e.g. Equipment Renewal Projects).
• Assists client groups with understanding various financial reports and information;
• Prepares custom financial reports based on client needs;
• Prepares regular budget to actual and variance analysis reports;
• Prepares external reports required for granting agencies or external funding entities.
• Advises client groups on financial matters, policies/procedures, financial terminology and standard accounting practices;
• Advises on budget methodologies and budget terminology;
• Provides advice on establishing reconciliation methods ;
• Advises client group management on all important budget and financial planning matters in a timely manner.
• Assists in analyzing details of budgets, actuals and encumbrances;
• Provides advice on various methodologies than can be used to analyze budgets and actuals;
• Manages the day-to-day financial documents and monitoring of expenses for the Faculty and compare financial results to budget;
• Processes budget / actual transfers; Processes correcting journal / budget entry requests by authorized client group;
• Provides ad hoc training on individual basis as requested and following formal training offered by Financial Resources;
• Provides training to client groups supported on the review of financial reports, accounting principles and university financial policies.
• Collaborates with other Financial Resource staff members to ensure full utilization and consistency of financial systems, models, policies and procedures;
• Provides functional support to client groups on budgeting, financial and year-end activities as required;
• Serves on committees as appropriate;
• A CPA designation is required.
• Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar role.
• Knowledge and experience in financial modelling and data analysis.
• Advanced spreadsheet skills (Excel), and knowledge of other MS office products (Word, Powerpoint, Access) and ERP systems.
• Knowledge of Millennium, Banner, Cognos is an asset.
• Self-motivated, goal-orientated individual who is capable of working in a dynamic and challenging work environment
• Excellent communication, problem solving, time management, and interpersonal skills with a focus on providing exceptional customer service in a team environment.
Grade : WLUSA-08
Salary : $33.75 -39.72
Salary Notes : This is a full-time, continuing position with an expected start date of October 15, 2018.
This position has not been deemed eligible for equivalencies.
Please Note : This position is represented by the WLU Staff Association bargaining unit.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier’s Employee Success Factors.
Diversity and creating a culture of inclusion is a key pillar of Wilfrid Laurier University’s Strategic Academic Plan and is one of Laurier’s core values. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any sexual identities and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates from other equity seeking groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Diversity and Equity Office at email@example.com. We have strived to make our application process accessible however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources at 519-884-1970 ext.2007 or firstname.lastname@example.org.