Financial Controller – Job Posting
HFN Management LP and Group of Businesses
The HFN Management LP (HFNMLP) is currently in a growth environment and is seeking a Financial
Controller who is a self-motivated multi-tasker with corporate experience and demonstrated
financial and accounting competencies.
Position: The HFNMLP has a full-time position available for a Financial Controller to carry out and
provide oversight to the finance and accounting functions of the HFNMLP and the Corporations and
Limited Partnerships it oversees. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer of the HFN Management LP
and Group of Businesses (CEO), the Financial Controller will be fully competent in accounting
standards, financial policies, performance measurement and workflow management.
Location: Main office is currently located on Vancouver Island in Port Alberni, B.C., with a
satellite office in Anacla (Bamfield). The successful candidate will be required to work in both
Open to: Qualified applicants will have experience working in a corporate environment with set
policies in place. Previous experience working in a First Nations environment would be an asset.
The successful candidate will be selected based on predetermined bona-fide occupational
requirements with a preference given to equally qualified Huu-ay- aht citizens. Compensation will
be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The successful candidate will be required to work independently reporting to the CEO, and will be
responsible for all investments, financial reporting and accounting, including budget preparation
and analysis. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Oversight of investments including reviewing and reporting on all aspects of financial operations
and profitability of businesses and other ventures.
• Review and reporting on the financial results of the operations of all (7) existing Limited
• Management of the internal accounting of the group of businesses including ensuring that all
accounting operations are completed in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with the HFN
Economic Development Act and the Governance and Fiscal Agreement and Regulation
• Ensuring that all monthly, quarterly and year-end reports are completed and presented to the
Board in a timely and efficient manner
• Providing financial information and analysis required by the Board of Directors and senior
management to make prudent decisions
• Ensuring that all financial reporting required by all levels of government is completed and
• Working with the external auditor to ensure that the annual financial audit is completed in
accordance with accepted accounting standards in a timely manner.
• In collaboration with the CEO, developing and monitoring annual budgets and ensuring effective
financial controls are in place
• Attending Board meetings to present financial information as required
• Supervising administrative and clerical staff who perform tasks related to the accounting
• Ensuring that all required financial reporting and transactions required by the written
contracts between the Huu-ay-aht Government and the Corporation occur in accordance with the terms
in the contracts.
We are looking for you, if you:
• Are a self-motivated multi-tasker
• Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Can deliver high quality, accurate results
• Can effectively explain complex concepts in plain language
• Recognize the need for independence and objectivity
• Exercise high level of professional judgement and ethics
• A recognized accounting designation such as Chartered Accountant, Certified General Accountant or
Certified Management Accountant.
• Strong financial background with at least 5 years’ experience at a senior level in business or
• Outstanding communication (oral & written) and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated conflict management and negotiation skills
• Knowledge of Huu-ay-aht First Nations goals and aspirations
• Knowledge of the unique challenges facing remote communities
• Excellent computer skills
• The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check
Candidates must submit:
• A cover letter expressing the reasons for your interest, including how you would add value to the
group of businesses,
• Expectations regarding annual compensation (e.g. salary expectations plus incentive bonuses)
• A full resume outlining education, skills and experience
• Recent employment references, (minimum of two)
How to Apply:
Written submission must be made to:
Mr. Gary Wilson
CEO HFN Management LP and Group of Businesses
Address: 2533 Port Alberni Highway Port Alberni, B.C. V9Y 8P2 Canada
Fax: (778) 421-2664
Submission may be hand delivered, mailed, faxed or emailed (MS Word and/or .pdf format only) and
must be received no later than November 30, 2016 at 4:00 pm.
For additional information contact: Administration at (778) 421-2663 ext 6 or email
Closing date: Only fully completed applications received by 4:00 pm on November 30,
2016 will be considered.