This posting is only open to current members of the Financial Officer 18 Inventory. If you are not a member of this inventory, please refer to the Applicant Inventories page for information about applying to be an inventory member.
Financial Officer R18
An eligibility list may be established
An excellent opportunity to apply your analytical expertise
The Financial and Corporate Services Division supports the Ministry Executive and programs by managing and ensuring a consistent approach to financial and corporate issues. Services provided include Health Authority Regional Grants Decision Support, Finance and Decision Support and Capital Services. Finance and Decision Support includes the Budget Coordination, Reporting and Accountability Branch, the Accounting Operations Branch, the Management Services Branch, and Decision Support Units.
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting Operations, the Financial Analyst is the key financial expert that supports one or more of the various programs in the Ministry of Health Services (including but not limited to Medical Services Plan, Pharmacare, Health Sector IM/IT and other program areas within Stewardship and Corporate Management) including: budget development and management; financial reporting; financial analysis and monitoring; and other related duties, in accordance with generally accepted financial policies and accounting standards. The Financial Analyst provides advice and assistance to the Budget Manager, Director, Decision Support, other Finance and Decision Support staff, and various program staff regarding financial matters.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Irene Rae – firstname.lastname@example.org DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree in: business administration, commerce, public administration, accounting or financial management and a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience* in financial administration, OR
- Completion of a professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA, or CMA) and a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience* in financial administration, OR
- Enrolled or fully eligible for enrollment in the CPA Professional Education Program and a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience* in financial administration, OR
- Diploma or a minimum of a completion of the first two years of a degree in: business administration, commerce, public administration, accounting or financial management and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience* in financial administration; OR
- Minimum of Level 2 of the BC Public Service Financial Management Certificate Program and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience* in financial administration.
*Relevant experience in financial administration must include one or more of the following:
- Experience developing, implementing and interpreting financial policies and procedures.
- Experience preparing complex financial reports and/or financial schedules.
- Experience with financial analysis and forecasting, including variance analysis.
- Experience in preparing, developing and monitoring budgets.
- Experience preparing and modifying journal entries.
- Experience in implementing financial controls and working with financial systems.
- Experience auditing financial transactions and records and/or tax filings.
- Experience developing and preparing financial reconciliations.
Additional required experience:
- Experience in conducting financial forecasts and analysis and in supporting budget evaluation processes for multiple business areas.
- Experience analyzing financial and accounting statements and recommending reallocations.
- Experience developing financial statements and reports.
Preference may be given for:
- One (1) or more years’ experience in the “Additional required experience” statements listed above.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter – NO
Resume – YES Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying. A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire – YES (COMPREHENSIVE) As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.