Financial Officer R18There are two (2) vacancies available; one (1) permanent full time and one (1) temporary full time opportunity until July 31, 2020. Relocation reimbursement is not applicable on temporary opportunities.
An eligibility list may be established.
A unique opportunity to apply your financial expertise in this exciting role
The Consumer Taxation Programs Branch (CTPB) is a branch within the Revenue Division of the Ministry of Finance. The Revenue Division is responsible for the administration of tax and natural resource revenues for the province. The division promotes voluntary compliance through quality customer service, education and compliance programs. CTPB administers the provincial consumption tax statutes.
The principal function of the Consumer Taxation Programs Branch is to develop and deliver various administrative and compliance programs under the Provincial Sales Tax Act, Tobacco Tax Act, Motor Fuel Tax Act and Carbon Tax Act to facilitate the timely and complete remittance of tax. The Refund Section of the Consumer Taxation Programs Branch is responsible for the verification and audit of refund applications submitted under the consumption tax statutes. On an annual basis the section reviews over 34,000 refund applications requesting refunds of over $160 million.
The role requires significant judgement to incorporate risk analysis techniques to prioritize refunds and make recommendations to accept / reject refund applications and recommend tax assessments. The position functions in a high volume and time sensitive work environment where verification activities to validate refund eligibility must be balanced with service standards.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Marichu Gargaran – firstname.lastname@example.org. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree in: business administration, commerce, public administration, accounting or financial management and a minimum of 1 year of relevant recent work experience*, OR
- Completion of a professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA, or CMA) and a minimum of 1 year of relevant recent work experience*, OR
- Enrolled or fully eligible for enrollment in the CPA Professional Education Program and a minimum of 1 year of relevant recent work experience*, OR
- Diploma or a minimum of a completion of the first two years of a degree in: business administration, commerce, public administration, accounting or financial management and a minimum of 3 years of relevant recent work experience*; OR
- Minimum of Level 2 of the BC Public Service Financial Management Certificate Program and a minimum of 3 years of relevant recent work experience*.
*Relevant recent (gained with in the past three (3) years) work experience must include one or more of the following:
- Accounts payable/receivable and reconciliations.
- Preparing or auditing financial transactions/records and/or tax filings.
- Reviewing and analyzing financial information.
- Interpreting and applying legislation.
Preference may be given for:
- One (1) year experience with the Gentax system.
- Experience in administering exemption and refund provisions under provincial tax statutes.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: YES – A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Online Questionnaire: YES – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete an online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements.