Head of RC Risk & Strategy : 00008Q6M
Employment Type: Regular
The Head of RC Risk & Strategy serves as the key management support to the Head of Regulatory Compliance, providing critical support for Canada. The incumbent will have oversight and responsibility for:
- Management of External and Internal Reporting Regimes
- Leadership and Oversight of RC Strategic Annual Plan and Quarterly Update Execution for Canada– to include top risk priorities, resourcing, staffing, budget.
- Holistic oversight and management of all RC external exams and internal audits.
- Ensure appropriate RC Governance and connectivity of all RC functions, including shared services activities.
- Develop and drive the implementation and imbedding of the RCM Enterprise-Wide Framework, E-13 Testing & Control, and Risk Strategy teams and support the Head of RC in Canada in implementing Group Regulatory Compliance Strategy.
- Responsible and accountable for all deliverables and activities used to support the Chief Compliance Officer opinion in manner acceptable to the Audit and Risk Committee and the local regulator
- Attend Committee meetings on behalf of Head of Regulatory Compliance Canada when required.
- Coordinate global communication to Regulatory Compliance in conjunction with Group Communications.
- Exercise critical judgment in project execution which cut across all business lines and functions.
- Oversee completion and accuracy of half yearly compliance certificates
- Oversee implementation of RC policies
- Oversee Executive Reporting and accurate delivery of KPI’s and KRI’s produced by the shared services MIand DG team
Principal Accountabilities: Key activities and decision making areas
Impact on the Business
- Drive efficient allocation of scarce resources, including capital and people
- Proactively identify key emerging compliance risks across all RC categories and interface with other global compliance areas.
- Prime interface with RC on all associated risk matters.
- Deputize for Head of RC as appropriate and manage all associated related work.
- A holistic view of compliance risks across Regulatory Compliance.
- Model Compliance Risk and Regulatory Relationships.
- Sets Strategy including Risk Appetite, Risk Mapping, top and emerging risks.
- Responsible for the People Management Strategy for FTE in Canada as well as oversight for strategy which takes in Resourcing, Talent framework, performance management, annual review alignment for RC and strategic People Development initiatives.
- Designs and delivers compliance training programs for all global businesses.
- Coordinate global communication to Regulatory Compliance in conjunction with Group Communications.
- Input into business planning, based upon own deep understanding of RC risks
Customers / Stakeholders
- Head of RC Compliance and Senior Management in Canada across business lines and functions.
- Develop and strengthen external relationships with key regulators
- Develop and strengthen internal relationships with internal auditors
- Attend RC committees on behalf of Head of RC
Leadership & Teamwork
- Clearly communicates compliance strategy to meet business needs
- Provides direction and support in Canada to the RC Risk sub-function
- Oversees policies to attract, retain and motivate high caliber talent
- Influence through action and strong leadership to own and optimize RC decisions to grow sustainable, risk adjusted profits.
- Provides sponsorship and strategic vision for People Development initiatives for RC, aligned to Group Risk and Group activities, as well as supporting the annual BAU HR cycle.
- Oversees different aspects of RC function, and specialist RC teams (Ethics Complaints and Privacy), towards the common goal of managing RC efficiently and effectively.
- Oversees communication across RC to all key stakeholders.
- Set, track, and monitor Objectives, Goals, Strategies and Measures for all of RC direct reports.
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Ability to clearly identify business and regulatory implications of analysis and findings and propose strategic solutions.
- Robust and timely record keeping, evidencing monitoring activities undertaken and action taken.
- Identify, monitor and mitigate top and emerging compliance risks and tactical interventions that will significantly improve, change or adapt functional delivery
- Establishes management and administrative procedures for own business to ensure adherence to Group policies and manage operational risk
- Leadership over all regulatory and compliance matters and the management of operational risk for own team
- To implement the Group compliance policy locally by containing compliance risk in liaison with the Head of Group Compliance, Global Business Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer, ensuring adequate compliance resources and training, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Oversee the Compliance Risk Assessment and using the results to produce and deliver the Annual Compliance Plan.
- Regulatory Compliance is going through a period of rapid and deep change both internally and externally. Internal challenges include restructuring the business to ensure consistent with global direction.
- Challenges from internal restructuring may include major cost reviews and implementation of efficiency programs.
- The job holder needs to be alert and adaptable to developing requirements, while delivering challenging targets.
- Managing the demands of multiple diverse aspects of the role.
- Maintaining an understanding of the global and local environment when considering local distributions of assets (staff, budgets, resources, operations).
- Implementing and managing a uniform approach to operations, in view of disparate operating procedures already in operation (within the organization and within departments) and the unique issues, requirements and problems associated with each area.
The job holder is expected to make decisions independently and interact with key external and internal stakeholders at a very senior level, regularly stepping up to the role of the Head of RC or acting in his/her capacity.
Management of Risk
- Shall be responsible for overseeing and ensuring that risk standards are in accordance with the Group Standards Manual (GSM) and appropriate Function Instructional Manuals (FIMs). Robust local risk policies Business Instruction Manuals (BIMs) to be in place and reviewed regularly for their ongoing adequacy.
- Ensure employees apply compliance, operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- Physical Demands/Work Environment: Very good working conditions. Little or no physical demands. Minimal handling of light materials. The physical demands/work environment described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Be aware of the Operational Risk, primarily Business Regulatory Risk associated with the business. Monitor in accordance with the Principal Accountabilities set out above.
- Managing the Compliance Risk Assessment process across different business lines on an ongoing basis.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organization.
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- To assist in the discharge of accountabilities set out in the Legal & Compliance FIM by proactively assisting RC Compliance Managers in their responsibilities to assist management in identifying and containing compliance risk, monitoring, reporting and certification, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
- As appropriate for the role, ensures alignment with regulatory requirements, the Compliance FIM, HNAH’s Enterprise Compliance Policy and Program, the CRMP Manual, HNAH’s BSA/AML Policy, other Group policies and all related policies and procedures.
- 10 plus years of Regulatory Compliance experience in relevant industries, with strong background in Risk & Strategy management and oversight
- Successful management of Compliance transformation or enhancement programs
- Significant compliance or possibly relevant audit / risk experience covering a wide range of business areas.
- Knowledge of key current regulatory change initiatives and their impacts on the businesses.
- Proven ability in leading a large team and strong people management.
- An excellent understanding of the regulatory environment and expectations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with both Compliance and Business Senior Management.
- Ability to support decisions with sound reasoning. Ability to clearly articulate business and regulatory implications of analysis and findings.
- Highly motivated self-starter with proven ability to work collaboratively within teams and to deliver on time.
Job Field : Risk Management
Primary Location : North America-Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Schedule : Full-time Shift : Day Job
Type of Vacancy : Country vacancy
Job Posting : 10-Feb-2017, 16:42:02 Unposting Date : 24-Feb-2017, 23:59:00