PURPOSE AND KEY FOCUS
The Human Resources Manager establishes and oversees the organization’s human resources practices ensuring compliance with labour law, relevant regulatory bodies, and common practice. As part of the management team he/she advises management and Chief and Council of ongoing requirements as well as best practices in HRM.
Human Resources Management areas of responsibility include employee relations, compensation and benefits, strategic planning, conflict resolution and investigations, employee learning, recruitment and retention, performance management and employee health, safety and wellness.
Reports to the Executive Director
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement the strategic Human Resources priorities for the OKIB.
- Participate in organizational strategic planning working in collaboration with other department heads to achieve goals as set out by the Chief and Council.
- Manage the sourcing and selection process by establishing competency-based interview guides, candidate testing, and reference checks; making recommendations to managers about candidate selection.
- Prepare employees for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs.
- Review the work and organizational structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions periodically.
- Maintain a pay plan by conducting periodic pay surveys; scheduling and conducting job evaluations; preparing pay budgets; monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions; recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions.
- Ensure monitoring and appraisal of employee work results by training managers to coach and counsel employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances.
- Oversee employee benefits programs and ensure employees are informed of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends; recommending benefit programs to management; obtaining and evaluating benefit contract bids; awarding benefit contracts; designing and conducting educational programs on benefit programs.
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and provincial requirements.
- Maintain management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures.
- Maintain historical and current human resource records.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Complete human resource operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Develop and manage annual departmental budget and required quarterly, annual or ad hoc reporting for Executive Director and Chief and Council.
- Manage staff job results by counseling and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- All persons employed by the Okanagan Indian Band may be required to assist the Band in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
- Participates in community events as requested.
- Attend council meetings
- Write Briefing Notes
- Review and assess personnel and policy manual
- Job analysis reviews with directors
- Plan and delivery of training workshops
- Write hiring reports and organizational communications
- Maintain employee files
- Assist in event planning
- Attend Health and Safety meetings and ensure compliance with required incident reporting
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the OKIB policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as required
Degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Human Resources
Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Five years generalist experience or equivalent
Management experience is preferred