The First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC) is an independent society led by a strong and diverse board of about 100 First Nations community representatives. FNESC is committed to improving education for all First Nations students in BC. FNESC works in partnership with the First Nations School Association (FNSA), and the Indigenous Adult Higher Learning Association (IAHLA), as well as other partner organizations.
Since its establishment in 1992, FNESC has worked to communicate the priorities of BC First Nations to the federal and provincial governments and to support First Nations communities in working together to advance education issues. Communications, research, partnership-building and advocacy are all central to FNESC’s activities.
We are currently searching for a ICT Business Analyst to join our team and play a key role in supporting our commitment to improve education for all First Nation students in BC.
As a member of the FNESC Information & Communications Technology team, the Business Analyst will primarily be supporting the Director of ICT in the development and implementation, performance, integrity and security of business solutions. Additionally, they will assist the team in the development and maintenance of custom built databases, websites, and other in-house IT systems. The Business Analyst will be a self-motivated, self-starter with the ability to apply their skills in both a dynamic and challenging environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply commonly used business analysis techniques to gather requirements from functional area experts;
- Attend and facilitate stakeholder meetings to gain clarity and understanding of requirements and processes;
- Conduct thorough analysis of workflow and business processes, and make recommendations that will positively impact operational effectiveness;
- Create specifications for new features and modifications for our custom developed databases, multiple websites, and other systems;
- Prepare and coordinate system changes for release; conduct product demo sessions, coordinate user training, arrange special hardware requirements;
- Maintain databases, including but not limited to: stored procedures, views, optimizing existing queries for custom report and application needs;
- Develop front-end applications for end-users to input data;
- Create and maintain user guides, manuals, and other related materials.
Required Education, Experience and Competencies:
- A minimum post-secondary education degree in Business Analysis, or equivalent business experience database programming and design related fields;
- A minimum of three (3) years of databases and ICT experience (equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered);
- An understanding of IS concepts, including data models (ERDs) and application integrations;
- Strong data analysis, application troubleshooting and writing skills;
- Proven knowledge of databases, tables, views, user logins/permissions, and backups;
- A working knowledge of T-SQL with ability to create triggers, stored procedures and user defined functions;
- Proficiency in ASP.NET, MS Access, Microsoft Excel;
- An ability to use MS SQL Reporting Services, and Crystal Reports to design reports;
- Basic ability with web application development using HTML, IIS, and CSS;
- Experience in an educational environment, as well as a comprehensive understanding of First Nations Education in BC and First Nations issues will be beneficial.
Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. The office hours of employment will be between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. with a one-hour break for lunch. However, the nature of this position is such that some additional time with notice may be required and there is a possibility of work on weekends or during the evenings and some travel may be required.
FNESC Office, West Vancouver, BC
FNESC offers a competitive salary, above average vacation leave, excellent benefits and pension, and a professional and respectful work environment.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in FNESC. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications, we are only able to respond to those applicants who are selected for an interview. We cannot respond to telephone or email inquiries.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com