Information Systems R24
STEP into a career with one of BC’s Top Employers since 2009.
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of the largest distributors and retailers of beverage alcohol in Canada, generating a net income of approximately $1.08 billion on annual sales of approximately $3.3 billion in fiscal 2016/17. LDB has a workforce of approximately 4,000 full and part-time employees, operates 197 retail stores across the province, oversees the operations of approximately 220 Rural Agency Stores and has the role of wholesaler to approximately 700 private liquor retail outlets and 10,000 licensed establishments.
The LDB is a unique government entity that operates with similar independence to a Crown Corporation under the direction of a General Manager and CEO.
In February 2018, the LDB was assigned to distribute, wholesale and sell non-medicinal cannabis inclusive of a government owned online channel with a mandate to support government’s key priorities of protecting children and youth, ensuring health and safety standards, and keeping the criminal element out of the supply chain. Effective October 17, 2018 the LDB has added wholesaling and retailing of non-medical cannabis –named LDB Cannabis Operations to the existing business of wholesaling and retailing of Liquor.
LDB’s Information Technology Division (IT) provides reliable, responsive and secure systems and services to support LDB in operational excellence and delivering superior customer service.
The LDB’s Information Technology Division consists of six departments and 23 distinctive units, with 200+ FTEs. IT has adopted a multi-sourcing strategy and leverages a combination of internal and external expertise, including outsourced services, contracted services and shared services, to deliver the IT mandate of supporting current operations and future business needs. Strategic plans, governance of standards and risk management are all developed internally to support Divisional and Corporate goals.
The Technical Analyst supports the development of systems changes/enhancements through the various phases of the application development life cycle and undertakes integration project work which has a significant impact on client departments. This position is responsible for supporting the planning, analyzing, designing, developing, testing and implementation of effective solutions to meet requirements and maintaining and enhancing assigned systems as necessary.
This position oversees system applications’ maintenance and enhancements from small to medium initiatives entailing both short and long term projects that may be either of a self-contained nature or ones which require the assignment, coordination and monitoring of work performed by other team or project resources to support the business objectives of the BC Liquor Distribution Branch.
The Technical Analyst emphasis project control, coordination of project performance and economic utilization of resources assigned to the project and in-depth systems analysis to deliver key benefits to LDB departments.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Please note that a cover letter is a requirement of this competition. For more information about how to create or update your profile, please refer to the How to Apply section below.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
An eligibility list for temporary or permanent future opportunities may be established. A criminal record check is required.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Tony Lau, Manager, Mobile & Web Solutions, Information Technology – Enterprise Solutions by phone at 604 252-2948. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.
Visit Careers at: www.bcldb.com
Education & Experience:
- Formal post-secondary education in Computer Science/Information Technology or a related field and a minimum of 2 years of recent, related experience.An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Experience in supporting web based applications, web sites and mobile applications
- Experience with retail and/or wholesale supply chain systems and processes, preferred.
Knowledge of several of the following:
- Knowledge of relational database systems i.e. Oracle, MySQL, Postgres and writing sequel queries.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite, SharePoint, and on-line project management tools such as Asana, JIRA, Basecamp.
- Knowledge of website, mobile application, and web application development
- Application and website testing methodologies
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies.
- Agile methodology and tools such as Trello
- Experience with Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, Google Maps API, AdWords
- Broad understanding of IT infrastructure i.e. Network, firewall, proxy servers, load balancer, data centers, switches, hubs and routers.
- Knowledge of SOA Architecture and Web Services.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong time management and organizational skills to manage concurrent activities and meet timelines.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate information effectively to all levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking and analysis/problem solving skills to make appropriate business recommendations.
- Ability to support routine process in personal computer and in-house/cloud server systems.
- Ability to set up, monitor, and back up all existing and new systems including Windows Server.