Senior Analytics Data Engineer
Information Systems R27
Vancouver, Regular, Full Time
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of two branches of Government responsible for the wholesale distribution and retail sale of beverage alcohol and non-medical cannabis. In 2018/19 the LDB recorded gross sales of $3.6 billion, generating a net income of $1.104 billion that supported vital public services including health care and education. It has a workforce of approximately 4600 full- and part-time employees working across 197 BC Liquor Stores, two BC Cannabis Stores (online and stand alone), a Head Office, three Wholesale Customer Centres and three Distribution Centres. The LDB is led by a General Manager and CEO who is responsible for administering the Liquor Distribution Act and the Cannabis Distribution Act, subject to direction from the Minister. As part of BC’s mixed-model retail system for liquor and non-medical cannabis, the LDB is committed to providing customers with an enhanced shopping environment, an expansive product selection and a high level of service
LDB’s Information Technology Division (IT) provides reliable, responsive and secure systems and services to support LDB in operational excellence and delivering superior customer service.
The LDB’s Information Technology Division consists of six departments and 23 distinctive units, with 200+ FTEs. IT has adopted a multi-sourcing strategy and leverages a combination of internal and external expertise, including outsourced services, contracted services and shared services, to deliver the IT mandate of supporting current operations and future business needs. Strategic plans, governance of standards and risk management are all developed internally to support Divisional and Corporate goals.
Reporting to the Senior Analytics Data Architect / Lead, the Sr. Analytics Data Engineer is responsible for providing the Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) with technical and analytical skills concerning the development, enhancement, installation, administration, and maintenance of the organization’s mission critical Data Warehouse (DW) and Analytics Data Platform, specifically in the area of Data Integration using modern data integration products. The position manages the extraction, transformation and loading of data from diverse operational systems and external data sources to create data sets and databases, in support of the regular and ad-hoc data analytics for decision making. Additionally, the Sr. Analytics Data Engineer will be responsible for understanding the requirements of the business and business intelligence teams to design the data pipeline.
The incumbent will need to quickly gain and maintain knowledge of the Branch business and the applications it uses to support the business; the content of the diverse operational source systems and the physical structure of the databases underlying the business applications. The incumbent must also understand the fundamental principles of data architecture and data warehousing in order to play a lead role in migrating data to data warehouse data structures.
The position manages the extraction, transformation and loading of data from diverse operational systems to create data sets and databases, in support of the regular and ad-hoc reports for decision making. The position also functions as an expert consultant regarding current systems / data architecture and assists in system development and conversion during data warehouse subject area development phases.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Please note that a cover letter is a requirement of this competition.
An eligibility list for temporary or permanent future opportunities may be established. A criminal record check is required.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Wendy Deng, Sr. Analytics Data Architect Lead, Business Analytics & Data Services by phone at 604 252-8842. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Visit Careers at: www.bcldb.com
Education and Experience:
A degree or diploma in computer science, information technology and a minimum of 5 years of recent (occurring in the last 7 years) experience in Enterprise Data Warehouse or equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Experience of designing, developing and implementing at least 2 data warehouses in Retail/Wholesale sector
- Minimum 5 years recent experience with ETL tools
- Experience of data modeling
- High proficiency in SQL
- Extensive Knowledge of various database: Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL
- Experience with BI tools such as Tableau and IBM Cognos
- Recent hands-on experience with Talend Data Integration 6.x+
- Experience with data quality processes/techniques
- Experience with Cloud-based data warehouse solution(s)
- Experience with version control
- Experience with enterprise job scheduler
- Experience with data-driven programming languages such as java, python
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge and expertise in architecture principles including:
- Data warehouse
- Meta data
- Big Data
- Understanding of business processes.
- Understanding of project management methodologies.
- Strong analytical abilities and interpersonal skills are required to interact with clients and staff to evaluate work and provide technical assistance to resolve problems.
- Team player with the ability to perform under pressure and deliver within tight deadlines.
- Collaboration and good oral and written communication skills to prepare logical and technical design documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, complex, concurrent change requests with diverse client expectations.
- Effective problem solving and conflict resolution skills.