Senior SQL Server DBA
Information Systems R27
Burnaby, Regular, Full Time
STEP into a career with one of BC’s Top Employers since 2009.
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of the largest distributors and retailers of beverage alcohol in Canada, generating a net income of approximately $1.08 billion on annual sales of approximately $3.3 billion in fiscal 2016/17. LDB has a workforce of approximately 4,000 full and part-time employees, operates 197 retail stores across the province, oversees the operations of approximately 220 Rural Agency Stores and has the role of wholesaler to approximately 700 private liquor retail outlets and 10,000 licensed establishments.
The LDB is a unique government entity that operates with similar independence to a Crown Corporation under the direction of a General Manager and CEO.
In February 2018, the LDB was assigned to distribute, wholesale and sell non-medicinal cannabis inclusive of a government owned online channel with a mandate to support government’s key priorities of protecting children and youth, ensuring health and safety standards, and keeping the criminal element out of the supply chain. Effective October 17, 2018 the LDB has added wholesaling and retailing of non-medical cannabis –named LDB Cannabis Operations to the existing business of wholesaling and retailing of Liquor.
LDB’s Information Technology Division (IT) provides reliable, responsive and secure systems and services to support LDB in operational excellence and delivering superior customer service.
The LDB’s Information Technology Division consists of six departments and 23 distinctive units, with 200+ FTEs. IT has adopted a multi-sourcing strategy and leverages a combination of internal and external expertise, including outsourced services, contracted services and shared services, to deliver the IT mandate of supporting current operations and future business needs. Strategic plans, governance of standards and risk management are all developed internally to support Divisional and Corporate goals.
Reporting to the Manager of Database Services and Middleware, the Senior SQL Server DBA is responsible for providing the Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) with expert technical direction and leadership concerning development, enhancement, installation, and maintenance of the organizations mission critical databases, the various SQL Server databases and various applications in use at the LDB.
The Senior SQL Server DBA works in a high-profile, dynamic, results-oriented environment on a challenging program that is strategic in nature and wide in scope. To fulfil its responsibilities and achieve the goals and objectives of the LDB and government, the position must develop and maintain relationships with the following:
- Technical Services group: to work with the internal Technical Services group to ensure smooth operation and availability of the Branch’s critical systems and applications;
- Application Services group: work with the system analysts in trouble-shooting and the collection of required information Vendor Support on bugs, application failures and changes;
- Store Operations: work with the store operation team to support technical analysts in troubleshooting and installation of the new store infrastructure.
- Project teams (staff, external contractors, vendors, business partners): to clarify requirements and understand the details of the project requirements for project environments and support required from the Database Services group;
- Corporate Architecture Group: to work with the architects in the design, development and implementation of future-state system architecture as required;
- IT Management: to provide technical recommendations.
- External suppliers: to work with external vendors/suppliers on services/products required to improve the efficiency and operation of the various Branch’s systems and applications.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Please note that a cover letter is a requirement of this competition.
An eligibility list for temporary or permanent future opportunities may be established. A criminal record check is required.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Sherry Zhao, Manager, Database Services and Middleware, Information Technology – Business Analytics & Data Services by email at Sherry.Zhao@bcldb.com . For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Visit Careers at: www.bcldb.com
- Degree or diploma in Information Technology or related area, or a combination of related experience and formalized education.
- Minimum 5 years recent (occurring in the last 5 years) experience as SQL Server DBA in a structured, formalized environment, including the following experience:
- MS SQL Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012 2014,2016
- Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003/2008/2008R2,2012/2012R2
- Development Tools: SSIS
- Disaster Recovery/ high availability strategies: ‘AlwaysOn’ AG, Clustering, Log Shipping, Replication
- Extensive experience on performance tuning.
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot database servers, through load testing, performance tuning, statistics, indexing, and database design.
- Proficient in automating standard DBA tasks such as capacity planning, backups, and performance monitoring.
- Proactively identifies, troubleshoots, and resolves database issues.
- Ability to create and maintain documentation/reports of DBA standards
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Experience in maintaining and supporting large scale multi-server databases in an enterprise level 24/7 environment;
- Experience of SQL development, data modeling
- Experience on Installation, configuration, and administration of PostgreSQL
- Experience on Oracle database management, Oracle Gridcontrol utilization and management.
- Knowledge of data management and software development
- Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL);
- Knowledge of Information Management and Data Management principles practises and processes;
- Knowledge and experience of Software development life cycle
- Ability to diagnose and resolve issues/problems related to database, OS and associated tools;
- Ability to deal with clients in a courteous, respectful and professional manner;
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to work independently as well as being part of a team;
- Ability to prioritize and manage work tasks and achieve results within agreed timeframes;
- Ability to conduct research, risk analysis and recommend appropriate strategies/solutions.