Senior Wholesale Business Systems Analyst
Information Systems R27
Vancouver, Regular, Full Time
STEP into a career with one of BC’s Top Employers since 2009.
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of the largest distributors and retailers of beverage alcohol in Canada, generating a net income of approximately $1.08 billion on annual sales of approximately $3.3 billion in fiscal 2016/17. LDB has a workforce of approximately 4,000 full and part-time employees, operates 197 retail stores across the province, oversees the operations of approximately 220 Rural Agency Stores and has the role of wholesaler to approximately 700 private liquor retail outlets and 10,000 licensed establishments.
The LDB is a unique government entity that operates with similar independence to a Crown Corporation under the direction of a General Manager and CEO.
In February 2018, the LDB was assigned to distribute, wholesale and sell non-medicinal cannabis inclusive of a government owned online channel with a mandate to support government’s key priorities of protecting children and youth, ensuring health and safety standards, and keeping the criminal element out of the supply chain. Effective October 17, 2018 the LDB has added wholesaling and retailing of non-medical cannabis –named LDB Cannabis Operations to the existing business of wholesaling and retailing of Liquor.
LDB’s Information Technology Division (IT) provides reliable, responsive and secure systems and services to support LDB in operational excellence and delivering superior customer service.
The LDB’s Information Technology Division consists of six departments and 23 distinctive units, with 200+ FTEs. IT has adopted a multi-sourcing strategy and leverages a combination of internal and external expertise, including outsourced services, contracted services and shared services, to deliver the IT mandate of supporting current operations and future business needs. Strategic plans, governance of standards and risk management are all developed internally to support Divisional and Corporate goals.
The Senior Business Systems Analyst (BSA) leads the analysis and provides consulting services to plan on-going business and technology needs consistent with BC Liquor Distribution Branch’s strategic plans.
Serves as a liaison between lines of business community and the IT organization in order to provide technical solutions to meet user needs. Possesses expertise in the business unit(s) they support, as well as, an understanding of the IT organization’s systems and capabilities. Analyses lines of business operations to understand their strengths and weaknesses to determine opportunities to automate processes and functions. Assists in the business process redesign and documentation as needed for new technology. Educates the IT organization on the direction of the business. Negotiates agreements and commitments to business partners by facilitating communication between business unit(s) and IT from initial requirements to final implementation. Possesses an understanding of technological trends and uses this knowledge to bring solutions to supported business units to improve operations and enhance the LDB’s competitive edge. May make recommendations for buy versus build decision.
This position evaluates business systems varying in complexity and business significance and ensures clients requirements and priorities are understood and met throughout the systems development life cycle. This position is responsible to know and understand industry best practices and approaches to business challenges and their relation to systems solution. The position is responsible for completing detailed end-to-end business analysis, obtaining clear definition of business requirements and translating them into functional specifications, developing cost-benefit/alternative analysis, risk assessments, recommendations, and preparing branch standard documentation. The position also identifies time frames, resources/ budget requirements and presents findings to both IT and Business Leaders.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Hector Wong, Manager, Wholesale Systems by phone at 604 252-2976. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
An eligibility list for temporary or permanent future opportunities may be established. A criminal record check is required.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
Visit Careers at: www.bcldb.com
Education and Experience
- Degree or diploma in a related discipline and/or certification in business analysis (e.g. Certified Business Analysis Professional, Certified Competency in Business Analysis) combined with a minimum of six years of recent, related experience*. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
*Recent, related experience must include:
- Business analysis including working with business users and subject matter experts to produce requirement, gap analysis, business process design, business rules and other analysis work products.
- Experience with each phase of the project management life cycle and systems development life cycle.
- Experience with several of the following business systems and processes are required:
Wholesale – Demand Planning, Forecasting, Warehouse Management System, Transport Management Systems, Labour Management, Replenishment, Inventory Management, Customs, Excise.
- Experience with one or more of the following business systems and process is preferred:
Retail – POS, Inventory, Pricing, Markup/Promotions, Marketing, Merchandising, Replenishment, Workforce Management, Space Planning, Assortment Planning.
Corporate – Finance (A/R, A/P, G/L, Data Management, Audit, Purchasing), HR (Recruitment, Payroll, Training & Learning, Labour Relations, Occupational Health & Safety).
- Expert knowledge of the following tools: MS Office, MS Project, VISIO
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle process and methodologies.
- Knowledge of IT systems and trends in information technology
- Knowledge of business modeling tools and techniques
- Knowledge of cost-benefit analysis methodology
Preference may be given to those candidates with knowledge of:
- Branch and Government business systems and processes (i.e. RFP, Budgeting) preferred.
- Strong time management and organizational skills to manage concurrent activities and meet timelines.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal /relationship management skills to gain acceptance from all levels within the organization of planning strategies, recommended solutions and getting agreement on priorities and requirements.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate complex information effectively at all levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking skills and analysis/problem solving skills to make appropriate business recommendations.
- Strong ability to produce detailed written documentation.
- Travel may be required to visit BC LDB Distribution Centre’s in Richmond, Delta, Kamloops.