Sr. Analytics Data Architect/Lead IS R30, Vancouver, Regular Full-Time
Salary: $76,442.17 to $87,354.80 per annum Plus 9.9% Temporary Market Adjustment
STEP into a career with one of BC’s Top Employers since 2009.
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of the largest distributors and retailers of beverage alcohol in Canada, generating a net income of approximately $1.08 billion on annual sales of approximately $3.3 billion in fiscal 2016/17. LDB has a workforce of approximately 4,000 full and part-time employees, operates 197 retail stores across the province, oversees the operations of approximately 220 Rural Agency Stores and has the role of wholesaler to approximately 700 private liquor retail outlets and 10,000 licensed establishments.
The LDB is a unique government entity that operates with similar independence to a Crown Corporation under the direction of a General Manager and CEO.
LDB’s Information Technology Division provides reliable, responsive and secure systems and services to support LDB in operational excellence and delivering superior customer service.
The LDB’s Information Technology Division consists of six departments and 23 distinctive units, with 200+ FTEs. IT has adopted a multi-sourcing strategy and leverages a combination of internal and external expertise, including outsourced services, contracted services and shared services, to deliver the IT mandate of supporting current operations and future business needs. Strategic plans, governance of standards and risk management are all developed internally to support Divisional and Corporate goals.
In February 2018, the LDB was assigned to distribute, wholesale and sell non-medicinal cannabis inclusive of a government owned online channel with a mandate to support government’s key priorities of protecting children and youth, ensuring health and safety standards, and keeping the criminal element out of the supply chain. Effective October 17, 2018 the LDB has added wholesaling and retailing of non-medical cannabis –named LDB Cannabis Operations to the existing business of wholesaling and retailing of Liquor.
The Sr. Analytics Data Architect / Lead coordinates and leads the design, development, testing, implementation, operational support, maintenance and enhancement of the corporate analytics data platform (including the enterprise data warehouse) , which houses raw & refined data from various sources of record, enables lean and fast delivery of data, enhances data management & engineering, provides advanced analytical capabilities (for power users and data scientists), and maintains metadata repositories & data lineage.
The incumbent will need to quickly gain and maintain knowledge of the Branch business, business applications, the content of the diverse operational source systems, and the physical structure of the databases underlying the business applications. The incumbent must understand the fundamental principles of analytics data architecture in order to play a architect role in migrating data to the corporate analytics data platform.
As a Team Lead, the incumbent is responsible for staff activities including mentoring, assigning work priorities and identifying resource requirements. This position is a technical and business expert within the Analytics Data unit, and is expected to provide leadership, task assignment and mentoring to contracted staff working within the work unit.
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications, and competencies. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Please note that a cover letter is a requirement for this competition.
An eligibility list for temporary or permanent future opportunities may be established. A criminal record check is required.
For more information about how to create or update your profile, please refer to the How to Apply section below.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Shawn Ling, Director, Business Analytics & Data Services by phone at 604-252-8852. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
Visit Careers at: www.bcliquorstores.com
Education and Experience:
A degree or diploma in computer science, information technology and a minimum of 10 years of recent (occurring in the last 10 years) experience in Enterprise Data Warehouse or equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Experience of designing, developing and implementing at least 2 data warehouses in Retail/Wholesale sector
- Minimum 5 years recent experience with ETL tools
- Minimum 2 years recent hands-on experience with Talend Data Integration 6.x+
- Experience with staff supervision, including setting priorities, providing feedback on performance. May be within a project orientation.
- Experience of data modeling
- High proficiency in SQL
- Extensive Knowledge of various database: Oracle & MS SQL Server
- Experience with BI tools such as Tableau and IBM Cognos
- Experience with Cloud-based data warehouse solution(s)
- Experience with version control
- Experience with enterprise job scheduler
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge and expertise in architecture principles including:
- Data architecture
- Data warehouse
- Meta data
- Big Data
- Understanding of business processes.
- Understanding of project management methodologies.
- Strong analytical abilities and interpersonal skills are required to interact with clients and staff to evaluate work and provide technical assistance to resolve problems.
- Team player with the ability to perform under pressure and deliver within tight deadlines.
- Collaboration and good oral and written communication skills to prepare logical and technical design documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, complex, concurrent change requests with diverse client expectations.
- Effective problem solving and conflict resolution skills.