Position: IT Technician
Matawa First Nations is a progressive Tribal Council of nine Ojibway and Oji-Cree Northern Ontario First Nations. The Matawa Education Department delivers a variety of education programs and services for Matawa First Nation schools.
Matawa Education Department invites applications for the position of Network Technician with the Matawa First Nations Student Success Program (FNSSP). Reporting to the PASS Administrator, IT Technician will plan, implement, configure, maintain and manage Windows and Linux based systems. While working with Matawa education department, PASS program users, education authorities and students, IT Technician will provide ongoing support to end-users and will also maintain the IT helpdesk. IT Technician will ensure technology infrastructure based on Windows and Linux is able to support the growth of PASS program and Matawa education department.
Qualifications / Requirements:
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Completion of a post-secondary program in information technology, or an equivalent
- Combination of education and experience
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Linux and Windows technologies;
- Basic working knowledge of Apple based technologies
- Strong knowledge and understanding of basic security principles on Windows and Linux based platforms
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP network protocols and client and server architecture
- Sound knowledge and understanding of different flavours of Linux e.g. RedHat, CentOS etc.
- Thorough understanding of Apache and Tomcat configuration, support and maintenance
- Understanding of school and community needs which utilize remote satellite internet access
- Knowledge of key application and system software for Windows and Linux platforms
- Experience in installation and configuration of Microsoft and Linux based servers and related applications
- Experience in identifying the key risks and issues and act on remediation
- Experience in assembly and mounting of Server Racks, and creating and testing cabling
- Configuring local area network security, wired and wireless routers and printers
- Experience with MySQL and website administration
- Working knowledge of helpdesk applications e.g. SpiceWorks
- Knowledge of Ojibway and Matawa First Nation membership is an asset
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Interpersonal skills
- Technical writing skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Stress Management
- Workload balance
- Relationship building
- Customer service attitude
The incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of IT Technician. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Physically fit and able to work outdoors, in confined spaces, and not afraid of heights
- Able to work effectively with school staff, students, parents, administration staff, and government and First Nations organizations
The successful applicant will be required to submit a current Criminal Record Check and TB skin test.
We offer competitive salary and benefits commensurate with education and work experience. This position will be based in Thunder Bay with extensive travel required to Matawa First Nation
communities. This is a contract position to March 31, 2018, with a possibility of extension, pending funding and a successful performance review.
For additional information, including specific qualifications for the position, please visit the Matawa website: www.matawa.on.ca.
Please submit a cover letter with resume and three employment references to:
Sharon Nate, Education Manager
Matawa First Nations Management
RE: MATAWA EDUCATION DEPARTMENT IT TECHNICIAN COMPETITION
Suite 500, 28 Cumberland Street N.
Thunder Bay, ON P7A 4K9
Fax: (807) 768-3301
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Matawa First Nations; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: open until filled