Junior Land Use Planner
Posted: February 24, 2017 Closing: March 15, 2017
Are you a land use planner looking for an opportunity to make a difference with your work? This might be the job for you!
The person we are seeking will have at least 2 years of relevant professional experience with Indigenous community and/or municipal land use planning. SVS’s Junior Land Use Planner will work collaboratively with our team and clients to:
- Undertake land use planning for Indigenous communities
- Obtain land code designation for First Nations and provide advice to developmental and operational communities under the First Nations Land Management Regime
- Deliver training and capacity building to First Nations, Metis and Inuit organizations and individuals on land use planning concepts and processes
- Facilitate individual and group mapping processes as input to “Traditional Knowledge” studies
- Provide consultation and regulatory process support as needed
Salary and benefits are competitive and negotiable.
Mandatory Qualifications and Experience
- At least 2 years’ professional experience as a land use planner
- Masters Degree in land use planning, geography, or an equivalent field
- Experience in working with land use plans including long range and lower level plans, zoning by-laws, and land use policies
- Familiarity with land use planning documents, evaluations and technical reports
- Understanding of economic development planning principles
- Ability to facilitate consultation, negotiation and conflict resolution processes
- Financial, funding application and administration skills
- Familiarity with the First Nations Land Management Act and Regime
- Strong plain language and technical communications proficiency, including report writing and presentations
- Interest in and respect for Indigenous culture and history
- Entrepreneurial spirit, including an interest in relationship-based approaches to business development
Professional experience and/or understanding of:
- Environmental assessment regulations and practices
- Environmental management planning / resource management planning
- Geotechnical assessments
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software
- Land use planning in rural / remote parts of Canada
- Working directly for or with First Nation, Metis and/or Inuit communities or organizations in Canada
- Teaching and training others in land use planning concepts and processes
- Working as a consultant
- Working with Indigenous knowledge (aka “traditional knowledge”)
- Multimedia story-telling
- Creative facilitation approaches
Please send your resume via email with subject line “Junior Land Use Planner” to:
Nichole Fraser MacDonald
Managing Partner, Shared Value Solutions
We will be accepting applications until March 15, 2017. Late applications may be considered.
About Shared Value Solutions
Shared Value Solutions (SVS) has an unshakable commitment to a land where all peoples can reach their full potential, share prosperity, and uphold their rights. We believe all of this begins and ends with healthy lands and waters.
SVS is a small, rapidly growing 20-person environmental and community development consulting firm located in Guelph, Ontario, Canada, that works primarily for Indigenous clients. The position will involve some travel across Canada and to northern communities.