About the Opportunity
Our Kelowna office is in search for a Junior Planner to join our thriving Planning Practice. While many of our clients require assistance and advice in traditional planning areas (e.g. land use bylaws, official community plans, etc.), increasingly our clients are looking for innovative ideas and customized solutions with respect to policy planning, municipal finance and governance, economic development and unique approaches to first nations planning. As such, we find ourselves in search of another talented and enthusiastic professional to join our Kelowna office to assist in the delivery of these services.
You are energetic, enthusiastic and passionate about planning. You believe strongly that the Planning Profession can play a vital role in each and every community in the Province. You have at least 1-2 years of experience in the planning field, with ideally experience working in the private sector. You are motivated, crave responsibility and want to take charge of your career. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and are equally comfortable working as part of a multidisciplinary team or independently. Ideally, you possess the following skills, interests and qualifications:
- You have a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning;
- You are a member (or are eligible for membership) in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of BC;
- You have an interest in working closely with both urban and rural communities in Western Canada;
- You are comfortable thinking “outside-the-box” to realize innovative planning solutions;
- You possess a solid understanding of land use planning, including policy development, implementation, and the regulatory approval process;
- You have an aptitude for problem solving, researching and analyzing information, and clearly communicating the results;
- You are able to work with clients to explore what is possible, select a preferred option and work collaboratively to achieve the desired outcome;
- You have the ability to develop and nurture positive interpersonal relationships with people from varying backgrounds;
- You are seeking an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and lead complex planning projects;
- You demonstrate exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills;
- You consistently work hard to deliver high quality products in which you take pride; and
- You are willing to travel and work with communities large and small, first nations and non-first nations.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned multidisciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have more than four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including local governments, regional districts and first nation communities. Our team of nearly 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all types, whether small or large; rural or urban; new or well established.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive at Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning;
- The stability of an employee-owned, “living” company; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Friday, February 17th, 2017