Summary of Position: NishDish is seeking experienced and organized Indigenous (FNMI) Kitchen Managers to assist with the operation of our new casual, quick service restaurant, our established catering operations, and emerging community space. These individuals should be passionate about Indigenous cuisine, food sovereignty, and community. We are seeking a day manager focused on restaurant operations and a night manager focused on catering and baking.
The Kitchen Manager is responsible for all kitchen functions, and is expected to multi-task, manage staff and food operations. The Kitchen Manager is responsible for the training of kitchen employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Work with restaurant managers to plan and price menu items.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and procedures and oversee training of new kitchen employees.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Provide safety training in first aid, CPR, lifting and carrying objects and handling hazardous materials.
- Experience in varied kitchen positions including food preparation, line cook, and expediter.
- Knowledge of, and connection to Traditional First Nations foods and culture.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Possess strong organizational and decision-making skills.
- Work well in fast-paced setting.
- At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time.