LANDS AND PUBLIC WORKS MANAGER
Adam Alexander & Associates has been retained, by their First Nations client in central British Columbia, to assist them in their search for a Lands and Capital Works Manager.
Reporting to the and under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing, organizing and administering the Band’s Lands and Capital Works programs, including the AANDC and other available Lands Registry systems and meeting Indian Act requirements related to land transactions and ensuring that the Band is compliant with its required obligations. In addition, the position also is responsible for managing the Band’s public work projects.
This challenging and rewarding opportunity is the key member of the management team and will appeal to the individual that is a self-driven, knowledgeable and experienced in the administration of First Nations services associated with Lands and Capital projects.
The essential responsibilities will include:
- Manages and maintains the data management system associated with the Band’s lands, including commercial, residential, industrial and agricultural leases, permits, right of way and any other legal documents;
- Develops a land registry and associated catalog system;
- Provides assistance and advise on registry requirements and processes;
- Prepares written documentation, e.g. Transfers of Interest, Certificates of Possession;
- Maintains records and documents as per AANDC and other governing authorities;
- Develops, administers and ensures proper work plans for capital and infrastructure development;
- Provides advise and recommendations to the Chief Operating Officer regarding principles and practices associated with land resource planning and capital project management to ensure sound land management and capital development decisions;
- Manages, prioritizes, schedules and ensures proper work practices in installation, repair, maintenance of the Band’s infrastructure and functions;
- Ensures the adherence of applicable laws, work safety regulations and applicable engineering and environmental standards;
- Develops, maintains and ensures proper records associated with the public works operations;
- Develops in consultation with the Chief Operating Officer policy and procedures related to the administration of Lands and Infrastructure plans.
The responsibilities of this position will appeal to the individual who possess a Certificate in Lands Management (preferred) and/or training in courses associated with the administration of on reserve lands, or a Certificate in Capital Projects Management, and is supported by 3-5 years demonstrated experience in land and capital works management, preferably within a First Nations environment. In addition, the successful candidate must possess or willing to obtain WCB training in work safe practices and confided space safety. Other key requirements include good problems solving skills, an ability to maintain confidentiality, excellent communication skills, strong organizational skills, the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external contacts, a demonstrated ability to deal effectively with all levels of the organization and community is a must, and good computer skills with Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.). A valid driver’s license and own transportation is required. The successful candidate must also be willing to undergo and criminal records check.
If you possess the necessary qualifications and skills, please forward your cover letter, resume and salary expectations, in strictest confidence, by Friday, June 2nd, 2017, to:
Adam Alexander & Associates
C/o Bill W. Gallis, Senior Principal
Human Resources Management Consultants
968 Nicola Street, Kamloops, B.C., V2C 2R9
Please quote Lands + Public Works Manager in the subject line.
“People Make the Difference”