Lead Event Coordinator
Full-Time Permanent / 35hr work week / based in Victoria, BC
The BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres (BCAAFC) seeks a highly qualified individual to lead the coordination and implementation of all logistics related to events hosted by the Association, especially with regards to our flagship event, Gathering Our Voices (GOV) Indigenous Youth Leadership Training. GOV2018 will be the 16th presentation of this event, to be held in Richmond, BC, in March 2018. Approximately 1,000 delegates from across BC and Canada attend the event and participate in multiple streams of activities, including plenary sessions, workshops, career and education fair, health and environmental challenges, cultural activities and entertainment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly under the Manager of Events to lead the logistics portion of event planning, including sites, food, transportation, onsite staffing, facilitators, and entertainment
- Manage timelines for launch of events, and calls for entertainment, keynotes, facilitators, etc.
- Coordinate the support staff on the Event Team and assist all Event Team members to manage their assigned project plans, including budgets where appropriate
- Liaise and maintain a positive relationship with venues, vendors, and facilitators
- Coordinate online registration process for delegates, including managing website and registration fees
- Manage the Events Distribution List, used to provide updates directly to delegates
- Develop promotional materials and event materials to assist delegates and facilitators leading up to the event and onsite
- Participate in recruitment, hiring and orientation of new staff
Knowledge and Abilities
- Excellent event management and budget management skills
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written
- A high attention to detail
- Strong time management, decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work with or without supervision on assigned projects, individually or in a team setting
- A high energy level with a determined, positive and productive attitude
- Adaptable and flexible within a wide variety of situations
- Diploma in Event Management or related field, or minimum 5 years of experience working in event coordination
- Experience working with Indigenous community and service organizations, with a particular focus on events management
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and excellent typing proficiency
- Working knowledge of WordPress a must, as well as strong graphic design skills
- Must be able to provide clear, current criminal record check including vulnerable sector check
- Valid driver’s license an asset
Submission Deadline – Friday, July 28, 2017 at 5:00pm PST
Please email your cover letter and resume, along with three (3) references to: Leslie Varley, Executive Director, email@example.com
Only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of
Indigenous ancestry. Please self-identify.