Legal Counsel Level 1 / Legal Counsel Level 2 / Legal Counsel Level 3
This position is located in Victoria.
An eligibility list may be established.
Deliver professional legal advice and assist as a legal advisor with the Ministry of Attorney General.
The Attorney General is the legal advisor to the government of British Columbia and is charged with ensuring that the administration of public affairs is carried out in accordance with the law. Legal Services Branch (LSB) supports the Attorney General in fulfilling this mandate by serving as legal advisor to government in civil law matters. LSB provides legal advice to government and ensures that legal risks associated with government operations are reduced. LSB’s clients include all ministries of the government, Cabinet and certain public agencies.
The Finance, Commercial and Transportation Group at LSB is seeking a real property solicitor to provide legal advice and services to the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI) on land matters, including:
- developing and considering options for structuring, negotiating and drafting agreements for land transactions including acquisitions, expropriations (section 3 agreements), dispositions and land development, as well as in negotiating and drafting project agreements, s. 219 covenants, statutory rights of way, leases and licenses;
- registering plans establishing highway as well as other types of land title plans;
- dealing with and advising on all manner of MoTI land-related issues;
- preparing and providing ongoing legal support for the use of standard MoTI legal documents; and
- reviewing historical land title and other legal documents to determine the legal status of highway.
Experience in some or all of the following areas of law is an asset:
- real property law, conveyancing, commercial transactions, including structuring and negotiation of and drafting agreements for land development projects;
- knowledge of Land Title practice requirements especially relating to the acquisition and disposition of lands for highway purposes and relating to approvals of subdivision plans by approving officers;
- local government law and environmental law; and
- knowledge of relevant legislation, including the Land Title Act, the Land Act, the Expropriation Act, the Transportation Act.
You are able to work independently, as well as part of teams with MoTI and LSB personnel, private-sector advisors and consultants. In addition to having a high level of organizational skills, you possess excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to manage challenging files with competing priorities. You have excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to think strategically and creatively. The ideal candidate will be able to quickly identify, analyze and propose solutions to legal issues and provide practical advice on a variety of land and transactional issues that arise in the transportation and infrastructure context.
Enjoy all the BC Public Service has to offer – a healthy work/life balance, excellent benefits and vacation entitlements. We are continuing to an employer of choice and providing a professional environment where ideas work.
Under the Public Service Labour Relations Act, this position is excluded from union membership. The terms and conditions of employment for union excluded positions are outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Employment for excluded Employees. You must submit to and successfully pass a security check under the Criminal Records Review Act. Criminal Records Review Act checks will be conducted periodically and at least every 5 years. Salary is calculated based on year of call (one to five years of call for Legal Counsel 1, six to eleven years of call for Legal Counsel 2, and twelve plus years of call for Legal Counsel 3).
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Lauren.Knoblauch@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
• Must be a member of the Law Society of British Columbia in good standing OR immediately eligible for call to the Bar.
• Legal Counsel Level 1: Up to five years of call,
• Legal Counsel Level 2: From 6th to 11th year of call.
• Legal Counsel Level 3: 12 or more years of call.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A criminal records review act check and enhanced security screening will be required.
Cover Letter: YES – A cover letter is required as part of your application. Please specify all years and jurisdictions called to the bar in your cover letter. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES – You will be required to answer a standard questionnaire.