Senior Invasive Plant Specialist
Licensed Scientific Officer Agrologist 4
An eligibility list may be established.
This position can be performed from any of the following communities depending on operational and organizational requirements: Kamloops, Nanaimo, Nelson, Prince George and Victoria.
An excellent senior opportunity for a dedicated professional
The Senior Invasive Plant Specialist provides expert professional and technical advisory services related to invasive plant prevention and management programs, legislation, policies, standards, and guidelines. The position leads the provincial Invasive Species Early Detection and Rapid Response Program including identification of risk and climate change implications, manages operational program resources and provides direction to invasive plant specialists and regional/district government staff and non-government partners.
Working for BC Public Service offers a competitive salary, diverse work environment, a healthy work/life balance, and excellent benefits. In addition to the base salary for Professional Employee Association members, there is an allowance to cover professional fees, strong dental and medical plans and much more. Salary listed does not include the additional 7% Overtime Shift Standby (OSS) provision that can be taken as taken as time off or salary on an annual basis which is on top of four (4) weeks annual leave.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Val.Miller@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Bachelor’s degree in Natural Resource Management, Range Sciences, Plant Ecology, or Ecological Restoration with at least 12 years of related experience. Preference may be given to applicants with a Master’s degree in the above fields and 10 years of related experience.
- Related experience includes:
- Experience in the principles of integrated pest management and invasive plant prevention and control and their application under BC conditions
- Experience in the use of invasive plant treatment methods including herbicide products, selection, and application; advanced plant taxonomy skills;
- Experience in negotiating and mediating solutions with stakeholders in natural resource management.
- Experience in regulatory management in the applicable natural resource field.
- Experience supervising, leading, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Experience delivering public consultation processes dealing with natural resource management.
- Registered, or eligible for full registration, as a Professional Agrologist with the BC Institute of Agrologists OR as a Registered Professional Forester with the Association of BC Professional Foresters.
- A valid B.C. driver’s license.
- Meet safety standards of Work Safe BC.
- Proficiency in the use of field equipment including ATVs, two-way radios, GPS, mobile data collections devices, and mobile GIS applications.
- Frequent travel is required. Conduct field work which may include travel to remote areas by vehicle, ATV, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: NO
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.